Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

caterpillar traxcavator 955H engine runs, hydrallic works,

caterpillar traxcavator 955H engine runs...

caterpillar traxcavator 955H engine runs, hydrallic works, but machine wont move. when i open the plug on the pump and fill it with oil, start machine, when oil comes out of hole i shut off put plug back in and then machine will move. if i turn machine off i have to repeat this in order for it to move again

10/6/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Have you checked the pump pressures?

This sounds like the pump is worn out. You could also have an air leak on the suction line to the pump. If you have a hose on this tube to the pump, replace it and replace all o-ring seals on the suction line. If that does not fix the problem, remove the pump and inspect it for wear.

Please post the full machine serial number with your reply.

how do i measure the pump pressure. the serial no is 60a9556 (caterpillar traxcavator 955H)

Here are the pages for testing the pump and transmission controls.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician