Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I Have a caterpillar 430D 3054C engine serial BNK06284 I just…

Customer Question
I Have a caterpillar 430D...
I Have a caterpillar 430D 3054C engine serial BNK06284 I just replaced the fuel injection pump and when I went to start it I have that it starts and stays running only with the key in the start position once I let the key go the engine cuts out. I checked the connection at the fuel solenoid found ok. I also checked for 12v with the key in the run position at the ignition switch which it does have the 12v. I had the engine at tdc on cylinder 1 on combustion stroke and I think the injection pump was supposed to be timed from the dealer. could the timing be off still. just doesn't make sense cause it runs fine as long as the key is in the start position and the starter is turning the engine. once I let go the engine cuts out. please help. out of ideas and need to get this machine fix asap. thank you
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/1/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Do you have battery voltage at the fuel solenoid with the key on? If you do, the solenoid is bad. It has two internal coils, one is on all time key is on, this is the smaller hold coil. The other is a larger coil, used at start only. It is working, the hold side is not. Either no voltage to the solenoid, with key on, or a bad solenoid.

just to make sure the solenoid is part of the injection pump and it has the one wire going to it right?

If it has the one wire solenoid, in the injection pump, it has to have battery voltage at all times. Do you have voltage to it with key on? It figured it had 3 wire solenoid.

I was just looking at the parts diagram. it looks like the fuel shut-off solenoid is on the top of the pump. and it has 2 wires going to it. there is something in the bottom of the pump that has 1 wire going to it. not sure what that is. but I checked the fuel shut off solenoid for power. it has no power with the key in the run position. it does have ground. actually it seems like all 3 wires have ground. must be a short to ground somewhere

Relist: Answer quality.
I have ground at both wires going to fuel shut off solenoid. is this suppose to be like that. engine still starts with the key switch in start position but when you let go the engine cuts out
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 7 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Check your P9 fuse (engine fuel) If this fails, the key switch power will not stay on the fuel solenoid. (You are getting a backfeed from the lift pump circuit. You may have an issue with the lift pump diode.) The pink wire marked 327 is from the fuse panel and must have a good connection through the fuse. I have even seen some become corroded and not carry the load without blowing the fuse. Remove the P9 fuse and inspect the terminals for damage or corrosion.

I am assuming other electrical systems are working normally.

If not, the main relay may have a problem or the yellow wire from the key switch is not connecting to the main relay(K5).

If you need more help, please let me know. I will be glad to help all I can.

Yes the p9 fuse keeps blowing. There must be a short somewhere right. Or is it the diode?

The diodes do fail but, not that often.

I would start by disconnecting the fuel lift pump and then check for ground (or blown fuse) then, move to the fuel lift pump relay and then to the diode. All should be located inside the frame rail on the left side close to the tank.

Disconnect each and test each circuit for ground.

Your engine may also use the 327 pink wire to operate a timing advance under the injection pump (some are on top) as well as the fuel solenoid and lift pump and lift pump relay. The relay is latching, this connects the starting circuit to the fuel circuit via the diode. A failed diode may try to keep the starter cranking, should not cause a short to ground.

The latching feature turns on the lift pump when you crank the engine and the 327 pink wire will hold the relay "latched on" until you turn the key off.

If I can help further, please let me know.

Would you know where the diode is? The power wire that goes to the solenoid has ground going to it. I took a dmm and checked for short to ground. I put power and ground directly to the solenoid and tried starting it which it did start and ran by itself. The only thing is that I couldn't turn the engine off with the key. I had to disconnect the power to the solenoid. Do.you think it is possible le to run a new wire from the solenoid to the fuse box?

No, wiring could back feed and cause the starter to stay engaged. Other circuits are also tied into the 327 pink wire but it is on the other side of the fuse were key switched power comes to this wire.

The diode looks like a light bulb and is tied to the harness near the lift pump.

I am sure you will have a simple short somewhere around the engine. Often it is the harness on the engine. No need to butcher a harness on a good machine. This machine has too much wiring to start bypassing things. Many circuits work together with other circuits and you may cause more problems than you will fix.