Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

cat 311b excavator. hydraulic oil container? near center of…

Customer Question
cat 311b excavator. hydraulic oil...

cat 311b excavator. hydraulic oil container? near center of maching, top side, has 4 hoses going in top and 1 in smaller line in side. There appears to be a 'stabalizer bolt"?? that has broken off in side of this oil container?? when rotate the cab, it seems that this container is not rotating with cab until hudraulic lines get pulled tight (one already leaking). I can send picture of the bolt. Just wondering if all I have to do is remove broken bolt, and replace, then replace ruputered line....or is there other factors I may need to consider. I am not even sure the broken bolt is for stabalization, but that is what it appears to be for?

I have not yet been able to see around to the back side of this oil container?  Is there more than 1 stabalizer that could be broken off?  Also, I am calling it an oil container simply because I don't know what else to call it.  I 'think' it is the container or valve body through which the oil goes to the drive motors.  The excavator is about a 2000 model.

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/29/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
catmastertech :

catmastertech :

The one bolt is the only one in the unit to hold it.

catmastertech :

My only concern is why the bolt failed.

catmastertech :

This is the hydraulic swivel, the parts book usually refers to it as the rotary joint.

catmastertech :

It is the connection for the travel lines from the upper structure to the undercarriage.

catmastertech :

This swivel joint will be too tight to turn by hand but, a pry bar should move is with some resistance.

catmastertech :

If you cannot move the joint to align the bolt hole with the holding slot, the joint must be removed to repair it.

catmastertech :

You can try a new bolt but, if you hear noise or see it bending, repair is needed.

catmastertech :

The part number I see is,

147-5803

ROD

Hi there.

sorry to be so long getting back know you you. For some reason; no chat window ever popped up on my screen.

I'm a little concerned about why the bolt broke also. But the unit seems to be turning pretty freely now. In fact the small bottom hose prevents it from turning, though it has caused this hose to leak a bit.

funny....i was straight in my guts out trying g to race and drill ouy the broken bolt. Had already broken 1 small bit trying to get a small hole started. I saw the bolt stub wiggle. It was sticking out maybe 1/8 inch. I reached and turned it with my fingers and got it out. Relief!!

I think know I am just going to get a normal hardened bolt of the same size to replace this special cat bolt

thanks for your help

Ok, just be aware that harden bolts are only strong under tension. They do not offer strength under side loading and will snap of quite easily.

I would still recommend the correct part over any bolt.