Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

hi we have a cat th220b telescopic handler 2008 and when its…

hi we have a cat...
hi we have a cat th220b telescopic handler 2008 and when its been at work for an hour the boom stops lowering.All other hydraulics still work.When the machine has been left for a couple of hours to cool it lowers no problem.Any idea what's wrong
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/13/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I had this problem on a TH350B and found the lock valve on the boom cylinder was sticking due to trash. I tried to clean and polish damage but, eventually I had to replace the lock valve assembly.

I think it was less than $400 USD.

If you want to remove your lock valve to inspect is, verify the boom is down and the cylinder has NO load on it. Loosen the bleed screw first. This is also the emergency lower for a dead engine and may be shown in you owners manual.

The lock valve is attach to the bottom of the boom cylinder were the line from the control valve is connected.

The other possible issue is the compensator valve. This valve is used to keep the forks level. It is normal for some binding to occur if you are using the bucket attachment and have the bucket curled all the way back when lowering the boom. This should not stop the boom though. If you suspect this problem, lower the boom with the buck at different angles to see if the binding happens with the bucket hitting the stops.

If you need more help, let me know.

I tried loading bales again and it worked perfectly for the first hour.Then it wouldn't lower unless the joy stick was moved very slightly in the down direction. soon this didn't work so I rotated the pallet forks fully up and it lowered.Five minutes later this didn't work either .As soon as I move the joy stick to lower a single alarm sounds and a red lamp flashes like this ( ! ) but I can still lift up and all the other stuff works.After 3 hours parked up it all works again.

Sound like your hydraulic system is contaminate or you have a failure in the compensator cylinder circuit.

I would inspect the compensator cylinder for damage or trash in the valve. Also inspect the tilt cylinder for damage.

The compensator cylinder is a small under the boom next to the boom lift cylinder.

The cylinder is located at the bottom of the boom at the rear of the machine. The head end of the cylinder is attached to the outer section of the boom and the rod end is attached to the machine frame.

The cylinder is a double acting cylinder. The compensating cylinder works with the tilt cylinder in order to maintain the selected angle of the carriage when the boom is raised and lowered. The compensating cylinder and the tilt cylinder utilize the same oil lines and the same control valve.

Also test the Load Control Valve (Compensating Cylinder Lock)

The load control valve is installed onto the bottom of the outer section of the boom and is connected to the compensator cylinder hoses.

The load control valve prevents high pressure in the head end of the tilt cylinder from entering into the head end of the compensating cylinder.

CAT TH220b serial number *YC5000000TBF00510*

Did you find anything in the oil or valves?

Hi Donnie, found nothing in the valves or oil.A technician from CAT came to the machine and plugged a laptop in and it,s the valve actuator pack that has high voltage on raise and low voltage on lower.Now for the bad news.This machine was made in Belgium under license from CAT.CAT took over the company and changed the valve pack for all machines. Mine has the old type pack and is obsolete.So the technician is arranging

a module to test the actuator to be certain it's faulty.If it is then a new valve pack and actuator.The actuator is £4500 and CAT have not decided how much they want for the vale pack and to change it.Before they would come out to the machine they required £600 card payment and charged £68 per hour to be taken off the £600

This is odd to the failures I have seen, normally they just quit and never come back.

This "upgrade" has been done here on a few machines. It is very expensive but, if the machine is otherwise in good shape, it is worth the fix. These machines work better in more "tight" areas than other machines from what my customers tell me.

I assume the repair he is offering if to replace the PHS solenoid assembly with the multiple solenoid assembly. The cost is so high because another ECM must be added to the unit.

I wished a better way was available but, at this time, it is the only option I know of.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician