Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a753 bobcat that only gets fuel when the tank is at…

I have a753 bobcat that...
I have a753 bobcat that only gets fuel when the tank is at the very top. What is the cause of this
9/11/2014
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 8 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
Greetings, the problem you've described is a very common Bobcat problem, the fuel pick up tube inside the fuel tank is broken off. Bobcat uses a flexible pick up tube with a strainer screen and check ball on the end of the tube. Never use air pressure to clear the fuel supply line on a Bobcat because it will either blow the strainer screen off of the end of the tube or it will blow the tube off of the elbow inside the tank.
To repair depends on what series 753 you have. If it has the fuel tank behind the seat when cab is raised, pretty easy to fix. If it has the fuel tank underneath the engine and pumps, a bit more tricky to do (favorite curse words are typically required).
You should find a metal elbow connected to the fuel supply line that goes to the engine. That elbow fits into a rubber seal grommet where it fits into the top of the fuel tank. You need to pop that elbow out. With your current situation, that elbow should be all you see when you pluck it out, pick up tube will be broken off. Take a trip to your Bobcat dealer (be sure and provide serial number) and get the proper length of tubing, the strainer screen, the two tubing clamps, and a new seal grommet to repair the machine.
Let me know if you need further help. Cheers.
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
I understand the screen but what function does the check ball on the pickup tube serve?
It prevents fuel back flow into the tank when engine is not running, also assists the primer bulb when manually pumping the primer bulb. Bobcat has used this pick up tube on their machines for many years.

Did you find the pick up elbow and remove it from the tank?
Yes I did, however I only fabricated my own pickup tube without factory components . How serious a problem could this shortcut cause?
Well, it depends on what type of material you used to make the modification of pickup tube, I've seen folks change from original stuff to a copper tube going into the tank. If you used typical vinyl tubing, it will work fine for a while, but diesel fuel will make it get hard and brittle quicker than the tubing that Bobcat uses. If you used rubber hose, diesel will make the outer jacket of many rubber hoses swell up and get soft.

I don't know that it matters all that much since you now have experience with the symptoms of pick up tube failure and you know how to fix it. And you still have the fuel filter at the engine to pick up any debris that might be in the tank. I've always wondered if that little strainer screen on the end of the tube is really necessary since there is a filter to catch debris, but it's a Bobcat thing, and I've always put the strainer back in place. Additionally, the stainer also provides a weight to keep pickup tube at the bottom of the tank. I can't forsee any real problems since you still have a filter, and I think you'll sort out any kinks as time goes by.

Good to hear ya got it fixed, and I would like to thank you very much for the positive rating. Cheers

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here