Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

i have a john deere 710d 1999 backhoe. iwas backing up from…

Customer Question
i have a john deere...
i have a john deere 710d 1999 backhoe. iwas backing up from getting a load of dirt in the loader when the engine sputered and died. i thought that it was out of fuel but when i tried to start it the starter could not trun the motor over. i was told to change the batteries that did not help. pulled the starter out and rewired it to work out of the tractor it works just fine. tried to turn the fly wheel with a large screwdriver but the fyl wheel would not move at all. was told that one of the injectors must have broken ond filled the engine with fuel. took all of the injectors out they are all good and the fly wheel still not turning. so i am not sure where to go next is it posible that when i was backing up that it some how locked in gear. maybe a solinoid has failed or shift spool or accumulator. not sure where to go from here "need help" please!!!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
9/6/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

See if you can turn the drive shaft between the engine and the transmission. If the drive shaft has any slack in it, the engine is seized and not going to turn over. Look at the oil and see if it has any metallic appearance that would indicate it has had a bearing failure. If you can't turn engine with a bar through the starter hole, it is in need of major repair! Sorry.

JACUSTOMER-qx7xz357- :

don't believe that is the answer being for how it stopped. but i will check it out when i get back home and if you are right i will be back to let you now.

Curtis B. :

OK< thanks for the reply