Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a similar situation with the same motor and skid steer.

Customer Question
Except, my skid starts with...
I have a similar situation with the same motor and skid steer. Except, my skid starts with a shot of ether or after it's been sitting. After it's running it just all of a sudden loses power and stalls. It won't start again unless I use lots of starting fluid or it sits for a while. I replaced fuel filters and the hand prime fuel pump. Do you think air is getting in the system?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
8/21/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Do you have air at the injection pump when you bleed the system? Make a test line and attach it at the fuel pump inlet and drop it into a fuel container or back into the fuel tanks filler opening and run test with the suction system bypassed. Everything after the fuel pump should be under pressure and would show as a leak.
I would prime my system and with a little starting fluid the machine would start and run for a few minutes and then lose power and quit running. What are symptoms of injector pump failure? Now, the machine won't start at all.
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 7 years ago
Is it loosing prime? If it is, you have problem before the lift pump. If it just dies, check the return line fitting in the injection pump cover, it is a check valve and if it is plugged with debris , the injection pump will shut off the fuel if the pressure builds in the housing. Open the return fitting and check the return line back to the tank.