Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

cat 416 backhoe ser #5pc01396 trans #6t5584 I read the popup…

cat 416 backhoe ser #5pc01396 trans #6t5584 I...
cat 416 backhoe
ser #5pc01396
trans #6t5584
I read the popup article but I think this machine is older
It has reverse but no forward, filter was checked & appeared to have rubber in it.
7/8/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

The transmission is much the same on 5PC models.

Check both solenoids to see if the will become magnetic when you select a direction.

If so, they are working.

Make sure you are check the oil level while the engine is running. You can also check pump pressure on the ports on the top of the transmission. The one near the filter is pump pressure. The two together near the solenoids are forward and reverse.

Test all three and see if forward is when the pressure drops. If so, the clutch seals are shot. Transmission must be removed out the bottom for repair. I block the machine up high and lower the transmission out the bottom with a Come-a-long.

(Clutch piston is covered with a black rubber but, all the lines are black rubber too)

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

We pulled the floor plates & the forward/reverse is moved by linkage from the collunm to a valve assembly on top of the transmission.

there is a solenoid attached to a button on the low/high gear shift threaded into the valve assembly.

ser. #5pc01396

trans #6t5584

I did get it to go into forward today but also had times when nothing worked in high or low

I am sorry, I completely missed this model is the A model.

The most common issue with these is worn out ball joints. Wear will prevent the lever engaging fully and the transmission will slip.

This is one reason the later models went to electronic shift.

The solenoid at the top of the transmission is for de-clutch. The buttons on loader lever and the shifter will disconnect the transmission to all full engine power when using the loader and make shifting easier when changing speeds while underway.

This model uses open switches. If you have a short to ground in the wires to the switch this will disconnect the transmission. This model, you can unplug the solenoid to test the system. If you no longer have an issue were the transmission quits pulling, then the wiring is the problem or a bad switch on the loader lever or shift lever.

Normally, this will effect both directions. It could be noticed more in forward if you are traveling faster and over rough terrain. This could increase the likely hood of a short.

This may not be your problem, I just want you aware it does happen.

Let me know what you find and if you need more help.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician