Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My Hitachi ex220-2 has a jammed dipper ram with the boom stuck…

My Hitachi ex220-2 has a...
My Hitachi ex220-2 has a jammed dipper ram with the boom stuck at full extension. the pump is under constant load while the engine is running.
the ram is closed right to the max. any suggestions where to start looking?
the ram has been totally rebuilt 500 hrs ago.
7/7/2014
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic

dieseldan55 :

Sounds like there is metal in the spool or the return spring has broken in the dipper spool circuit. WHat I would try first to do first is get the boom to a safe secured position. You can loosen the adjustment on the boom relief valve to slowy control the decent of the boom. ONe everything is safely on the ground inspect the hoes and levers for issues. I wouildtake the servo lines off the arm spools and see if there is pressure on the spool hoses when the contols are in nueteral. If not then I would inspect the spool and look for contaminats inside the vavle. The spool should slide right out, do not force. ALso relief the pressure in the hydraulic tank and the circuit before working on it with all implements braced. I ecxpect your cylinder failerd or other contaminatns are awash in the circuit.

Customer:

Hi Dan,

Customer:

thanks for the reply, it seems like that is where the problem is, so will check it out once the rain stops.

dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic