Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Why won't lift cylinder raise loader bucket on 416 cat backhoe?

Customer Question
why won't lift cylinder raise...
why won't lift cylinder raise loader bucket on 416 cat backhoe. it will only lift if the lever is pulled to curl the bucket at the same time that you pull lever to raise bucket
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/25/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

Hello, this is caused by blown resolver seals.

catmastertech :

If you reseal the loader valve, it will cure this issue.

catmastertech :

If time and cost are a problem, just replace the resolver seals on the second seats.

catmastertech :

Remove the right rear wheel and you will see four access holes to the seats.

catmastertech :

Each seat has a seal and a loose check ball for the resolver. Be careful not to loose the ball, it is about the size of a BB.

catmastertech :

I usually order new seats and balls if the machine has high hours on it.

catmastertech :

If your has low hours (below 4000) just replace the seal and it will be fine.

catmastertech :

The older machines have a screwdriver slot were as newer versions have allen hex sockets.

catmastertech :

To loosen the seat, strike it with a punch and hammer firsts. It will be much easier to remove.

catmastertech :

If you find you valve has the screwdriver slot, you may need a chisel to get it loose. That may require removing the loader valve to better access the seat.