Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a john deere 310d backhoe that has a stalling problem.

Customer Question
When cold it will start...
I have a john deere 310d backhoe that has a stalling problem. When cold it will start right and idle good but when put under a load or just driving around it will quit running in just a few minutes. I have replaced the fuel/water filter and replaced the return line to the tank and it still quits. In a few minutes it will start up but will stall quickly.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/17/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Have you removed the return line fitting at the injection pump cover? It is a check valve and may be plugged with debris. Also this has the electric fuel shutoff in the pump cover, it has to keep the fuel open, or the injectors get no fuel. Do you have to do anything to get it to run again? If not the return or the shutoff, you can make a test line and go from the fuel transfer pump inlet, back into the fuel tank filler opening and test. This bypasses the suction side of the system.

Have checked the check valve for debris. How do you test the electronic fuel shut off? Where is the fuel transfer pump inlet? How do you test the manual fuel pump on the engine? I need all the help I can get.

Just started engine, when cold it starts right up and idles & fast idles good but when you start driving or operating the backhoe it will quit running in a very short time.

How long before it starts back, and does it run for shorter and shorter time period? If so, I would say the electric solenoid is going out.

It starts back up after waiting for a few minutes and runs when idling. Runs for shorter period each time its started. Where is the electric solenoid located and how do you replace it? After its set awhile (over night) it will start right up.

There is two electrical connections on top of the injection pump. The solenoid is internal to th pump. You remove the top cover to replace. # ***** in the diagram.TP68/TP68430________UN17NOV99.gif