Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2004, 420D backhoe loader (ser #FDP11144) that will…

Customer Question
I have a 2004, 420D...
I have a 2004, 420D backhoe loader (ser #FDP11144) that will not go in reverse. I goes into forward fine. With the parking brake on, putting the shifting lever in forward, the parking brake alarm sounds and the tractor tries to move. Putting it in reverse, the brake alarm sounds also, but the tractor will not engage as if it's trying to go in reverse. By testing the transmission lockout on the dash, that seems to be operating correctly. It looks like there is a double solenoid block on the transmission. Could one of these solenoids be my problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
6/16/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Yes, one side is for forward and the other is reverse.

Try comparing the voltage from the harness on the forward side to the voltage on the reverse side. They should match.

You can also remove the coil from the stem and swap the coils from side to side. They are both the same.

If you have an ohmmeter, check the resistance of the coils, they should read about 8 ohms through the coil.

If the wiring and coils are good, you should test pressures for forward and reverse.

This solenoid valve assembly has been improved to prevent debris plugging the controls. You could have a failed valve if you do not have any pressure to the reverse clutch and need to replace the solenoid valve assembly.

If you have some pressure, the clutch piston seal may have failed.

This would require rebuilding the transmission.

I finally had time to check this out. I jumped the wires and found that the coils, solenoids and clutch pistons are fine. It appears the solenoid on the reverse side is not engaging even though the alarm still sounds when the unit is shifted into reverse. I am not getting power to actually engage reverse. Where would I look to find my wiring problem?

Thanks for the reply.

You should check the wire harness from the handle back to the solenoid.

Test the #6 pin (blue wire marked 754) to the A pin on the solenoid for continuity.

Then test the #4 pin (gray wire marked 923) of the shifter connector to the B pin of the solenoid.

You should only have one main connector between the to points. This the platform to the engine/frame harness connector.

The blue wire is at pin #20 and the gray wire is at pin # 21 in this connector.

It is located near the middle of the floor plate you removed to access the transmission solenoids. This is a 31 pin connector and appears to be a round metal connector.

The backup alarm is on a different circuit from the handle. It is not connected to the solenoids.

The alarm I'm referring to is the emergency brake alarm. Is that also separate?

Your first line states "handle". I'm assuming you are referring to the shifter?

I did not have time to check it out yesterday, but want to be sure of what I'm looking for.

My serial number is FDP11144