Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Would like to add hydraulics to thumb on my case 9010b excavator.

Do you have diagram for...
Would like to add hydraulics to thumb on my case 9010b excavator. Do you have diagram for this. What is required besides new pilot control, relief valve, valve on high pressure side and valve from pilot? Can I run flex lines to thumb?
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/8/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am sorry, I don't have any documents for CASE.

Normally manufacturers will have an auxiliary valve on the main control valve. Inspect your valve for unused ports near the other lines that go to the boom.

If you have a valve then you should only need to install a foot pedal or thumb switch, depending on the machine options. (which I have no clue on the 9010)

Using hose to operate the thumb will work fine. Not the most reliable but, cheap and effective.

If I understand correctly, the foot pedal moves a spool on the low pressure side which in turn operates the thumb on high pressure side. If I have extra ports on main valve then there already a pressure relief valve, is that correct? IF I choose joystick would it be electric over hydraulic. How does that work?

That is more that I cannot say for certain.

Considering the age of the 9010, I would guess the controls are pilot hydraulic and a foot pedal is the normal attachment to operate an auxiliary valve.

Normally a main valve would have the reliefs with it but, Cat sent a model out without reliefs to save money. No one noticed until the first request to add a thumb came in. So, I would not guaranty it. If you find an open section on the main valve, the reliefs should also be inline with that section and have adjustment screws.

Pilot line systems would tap off a manifold for pilot pressure and supply a separate foot valve. This foot valve would send pilot pressure to the main valve to operate the auxiliary control spool. The auxiliary spool would move and send high pressure pump oil to the thumb cylinder.

Pilot pressures are usually below 600 psi while main pressure can be 5000 psi. Most thumb cylinders require less than 3000 psi and the circuit reliefs are set to the lower value to protect the thumb cylinder.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician