Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I am interested in purchasing a 2004 Caterpillar 267B Skid…

I am interested in purchasing...
I am interested in purchasing a 2004 Caterpillar 267B Skid steer and I am looking to find out if this machine has any known faults or recalls I should be concerned about? I have read on line about axle welds breaking and axle bearing issues that were updated. there was no Model years discussed and was wondering if this was a known mechanical issues with the 2004 Model year as well?
6/1/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

Hello, would you have the serial number of the machine you are looking at?

catmastertech :

Hello?

Customer:

not at this time. I can get it on Monday from the seller. I am concerned about the known faults because the machine will be sold as is without any warranty.

catmastertech :

Do you know of any features it has?

Customer:

Track machine, with pilot controls, heat and has a turbo charged engine with approx. 2700 hours.

catmastertech :

Thanks.

catmastertech :

This is the issue reported for axles.

catmastertech :

Debris ingress may wear the undercarriage axle seals, resulting in bearing contamination and axle failures.

catmastertech :

Replace axle tubes and drive sprocket components

catmastertech :

Full Size Image

catmastertech :

Yes these loaders had several issue with the track groups.

catmastertech :

Most were due to abuse or harsh working environments.

catmastertech :

Some of these had upgrade parts like shown above installed.

catmastertech :

Not all were effected so, you don't really know if this unit has seen any upgrades unless the paperwork is with the machine.

catmastertech :

The serial number may reveal a little more about some of the repairs but, it will not allow me to see everything.

Customer:

would I see any oil leaks etc. before the axles would need to be replaced? would a pressure washer cleaning up the seal surfaces areas after usage prevent axle damage? Also the front bearing on the left side track is going to be replaced this week before I can actually operate it around the yard. this is most likely an auction machine.

Customer:

Can I get you the serial number on Monday morning?

catmastertech :

You would be very lucky to see an oil leak before failure.

catmastertech :

These have very little oil and some have grease so, the most common way to see a problem is after failure.

catmastertech :

You can send me the serial number but, I will be out until late.

catmastertech :

I answer most questions at night. I am out working on machines during the day. This is a part time home job for me.

Customer:

no problem, you can get back to me at night next week, if that is OK with you.

catmastertech :

I will be happy to help and I will be looking for your reply.

Customer:

thank you

catmastertech :

You're welcome.

Customer:

The Serial # XXXXX the CAT 267B skid steer is #CAT0267BVCYC00233. Thank you

catmastertech :

From the history I see, the undercarriage was not upgraded under the warranty period. I do not see any repairs to this machine after 2006. The upgrade was issue in 2007 so, I cannot see any repairs done outside of the warranty time frame.

catmastertech :

Several repairs were done under warranty but, nothing major. All were leaks and wire rub issue plus a bearing on the drive support. Common items.

catmastertech :

No new letters are out for upgrades, anything done from this point will not be covered under any warranty.

catmastertech :

A safety issue may cause a recall but, that is the only way you may see Cat help on this machine.

catmastertech :

The tracks were also replaced around 1200 hours so, that is something new it has going for it.

catmastertech :

It did come with a debris kit so, they likely planned to work it in the brush and that was a job that could cause trouble with the wheels.

catmastertech :

All the other letters address different issues. Most were not common problems and may not even apply to this machine.

catmastertech :

So, this is a machine you should inspect closely and be prepared for some repairs if you plan to use it hard. If you will be doing light work with it, it may not have any issues.

Customer:

Does the undercarriage upgrades apply to the 2004 Machines also or just the later ones?Thank you for researching this for me.

catmastertech :

The chart I posted earlier show the serial number range were the parts can be upgraded. After serial number CYC01393, all machines will have the new parts. The chart shows two breaks in the parts needed. Your machine would need the lower group of number for the upgrade. This in no way implies you must do this upgrade, just that better parts are available. If you order new parts, you may find the older style does not exist and you may need to match the pair to get the same wheel ride height. CAT will base all updates and parts needed for repairs by the serial number. Rarely do any parts relate to year models.

catmastertech :

If you need anything else, please let me know. Thanks, Donnie

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician