Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

The 3D95S-W-1D diesel engine (in an older Komatsu mini-excavator)

will crank normally but not...
The 3D95S-W-1D diesel engine (in an older Komatsu mini-excavator) will crank normally but not start, not even try to start. The fuel tank is full. The block is heated to near operating temperature. The outside air temperature is warm. The machine has been sitting for about six months (over the winter). I've had the machine for about five years and it's never failed to start after sitting over the winter.

I removed the fuel filter, and cranked the engine. *No* fuel was observed coming out of the fuel filter mount, not a drip. I pumped the priming lever on the feed pump, and fuel *was* observed spurting out of the mount.

Do these symptoms point to a defective feed pump as the most likely problem? If not what is the diagnosis?
5/12/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
You have to get fuel to the injection pump! The fuel transfer pump has to move the fuel from the tank, through the filter and to the injection pump. The pump could be bad, but a test line attached to the inlet of the primer , into a separate fuel container would be one way of testing the pump. Crank engine and see if the pump is moving fuel. If not, replace the pump. If it does work, check the hoses coming from the tank, they have to be vacuum tight. If any air enters, the pump will not work! Once you have fuel to the injection pump, then you could bleed the injection lines, and unit should start.

Yes, I understand your answer but my question was whether or not removing the fuel filter and cranking the engine is an adequate test for the feed pump (which you call the transfer pump). One would think that fuel would spurt out of the fuel filter mount if the feed pump we're working properly.

If the pump is downstream from the filter , it should spurt fuel, if the line is vacuum tight! If it is upstream, it will not!

In my original question I noted that there's a manual priming lever on the feed pump that does cause fuel to spurt out of the filter mount, so it has to be pushing fuel to the filter, not pulling.

Primer would seem to be working manually, does it work when cranking? Mounted on the side of the block, where the camshaft works the internal lever?

I've attached a pic from the shop manual which might clarify. The priming lever is for manual use only and doesn't move when the engine is cranking. you can see it in the pic on the right of the pump. The pump is operate by a shaft, probably geared off the camshaft.

Attachment: 2014-05-12_234727_image051214165752.pdf

Yes, pump is turned by the injection pump. it should spurt fuel from the injection pump bleeder when engine is being cranked.

Thanks for confirming. I'm satisfied.

Thank you!
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician