Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My volvo l70 has manual fuel shutoff in cab but also has what…

My volvo l70 has manual...
My volvo l70 has manual fuel shutoff in cab but also has what looks like a solenoid on injector pump. Should the wire on that have voltage? Mine does not and is not starting. Acts like it isnt getting fuel, but there is plenty of pressure at filters. Thanks
5/8/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

The fuel solenoid has to have battery voltage at all times the key is on. If not, no fuel is sent to the injectors. Look for bad fuse or broken wire.

Customer:

I was concerned that it wasn't actually a fuel shutoff solenoid. I've always had to pull the fuel stop in the cab to shut it off. In normal operation, turning the key off doesn't stop the engine. So, I didn't want to put voltage to the thing that looks like a solenoid and create a problem.

Curtis B. :

Where does your manual fuel shutoff cable connect? Is it moving the kill lever on the injection pump? It may not be moving the lever. If you have had to kill engine with the cable, the electric solenoid should not matter, and may not be shutoff solenoid!

Customer:

yes, the manual fuel shutoff cable connects to the kill lever and it is moving the lever correctly. I checked that.

Curtis B. :

Ok, then the internal lever that the cable moves is stuck in the no fuel position.

Customer:

Do you mean inside the pump? The kill lever on the outside of the pump is moving correctly and is in the open position. I am confused by the solenoid-looking part when honestly I didn't think the loader had a solenoid. Maybe it has always been stuck open until now. Is there a way to bypass the electric solenoid? It appears to be safety wired in place, so I didn't want to remove it without knowing more.

Curtis B. :

Fuel solenoid would not be lock wired. It has to be something else.

Changed to question and answer so we can continue without any additional charges.

Relist: Answer quality.
I tried JustAnswer because your ad had an expert (DieselDan) who actually works on Volvo Heavy Equipment like mine. It said he was online and available to answer a question. But my question was assigned to Curtis B, who gave okay answers but is a small engine specialist, not a heavy equipment technician. I was really hoping to get an expert on the problem I'm having.
Mechanic: dieseldan55, Mechanic replied 8 years ago
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic

Hello this is Dieseldan55, the solenoid your talking about is for the cold start system. The switch on the dash will activate the solenoid when starting the machine in cold weather. I will send a schematic and whatever else I can locate. The yellow wire should only receive power if the switch on the dash is push in with key on.

Hi so MA15 is the solenoid on the schematic and Switch 25B is the activation switch. They are located at the top of schematic. Power is supplied to the switch via green and yellow wire then once switch is depressed it will power the yellow wire and advance the fuel rack to assist in starting. If your reading power just verify its not a voltage drop and a false reading. DO you need part number for a new solenoid? Machine can be run fine without the solenoid just a cold weather item.
dieseldan55
dieseldan55, Mechanic