Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 331 Bobcat mini excavator. The engine runs fine.

I have a 331 Bobcat...
I have a 331 Bobcat mini excavator. The engine runs fine. After a few minuets of hydraulic work it shuts down. I just changed all filters. Is there a sensor causing it to shut down that needs to be reset.
4/24/2014
Mechanic: ProfessorDeep, Field Service Supervisor replied 8 years ago
ProfessorDeep
ProfessorDeep, Field Service Supervisor

ProfessorDeep :

When the 331 shuts down, does it shut down instantly or gradually?

Customer:

Gradually. I notice that if I pump the rubber priming bulb to force fuel while engine is running, the rpms increase.

ProfessorDeep :

Thats a great observation. What that tells me is that your losing fuel pressure. The fact that it happens gradually makes me believe you are either sucking air somewhere upstream of the transfer pump, or you had debris in your fuel tank. I want you to obtain a jug of clean diesel fuel. Trace the hoses going to the transfer pump. The hose that connects to the transfer pump inlet, disconnect that hose from the other end and put that into the jug. Run the machine again and see if the problem duplicates. If it cures the problem, then connect that line back up and remove the inlet hose to the water separator. Put that in the jug and run it. If that cures the problem then the problem is in the tank. If the problem comes back then the problem is in the water separator. Please let me know what you find.

The problem was in the tank. I should have thought of that since I replaced the suction hose in the tank 2 years ago. I talked to a friend that had replaced the same Bobcat part also. The Bobcat suction hose in the tank deteriorates over time. It is better to replace it with a regular rubber fuel line which I did. Thanks for the information you provided. Saved me a lot of time and money. Jim B.

My pleasure and thank you again for asking the question!
ProfessorDeep
ProfessorDeep, Field Service Supervisor