Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2000 cat d5 m xl. sn# XXXXX Service warning flashing.

dozer still seems to operate...
I have a 2000 cat d5 m xl. sn# XXXXX Service warning flashing. dozer still seems to operate ok. By reading here and other sites I was able to pull the following list of codes, but have not been able to find a list to look them up on. thank you for helping decipher them.
030 96 03 (this may have been miles?)
030 819 02
113 168 04
113 269 04
113 298 02
113 621 02
113 689 05
113 690 05
113 722 03
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/21/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thanks for requesting me, I will be glad to help you with this.
The codes that begin with 030 is from the monitor ecm
096 03 is the fuel gauge.
This diagnostic code is recorded when the main display module reads the signal voltage. The voltage from the sender is too high. The corresponding gauge (fuel level) will indicate an abnormally low fuel level. The following causes could signal this diagnostic code:

•The sender has failed.

•The ground circuit for the sender in the machine harness is shorted to +battery.

•The signal circuit in the machine harness is shorted to +battery.

•The signal circuit in the machine harness is open or the sender is disconnected.

•The main display module has failed. Display module failure is uncommon.

Service Notes: Ensure that the desired code (CID and FMI) is on hold. Ensure that the diagnostic code indicator shows "SERV CODE". The above schematic represents a typical installation of the component. Verify the connector contact and wire numbers by using the Electrical System Schematic for the machine that is being serviced.

819 02 This diagnostic code is recorded when the main display module does not receive expected information. When the main display module sends information to a display component, the display component sends a signal back to the main display module. The signal confirms correct information. When the main display module does not receive expected information, the diagnostic code is logged. As a result of this diagnostic code, the main display module may not respond to the information that is received. Gauges and readouts could be incorrect when the main display module is in normal mode. Check the connections for the display data link. Check for opens or shorts in the harness wiring for the display data link.

Codes that begin with 113 are from the transmission ecm.

168 04 This diagnostic code is recorded when the system voltage is below 21.3 VDC. If the voltage decreases to a value that is below 18 VDC, the brakes will be applied and the transmission will shift into neutral.

The possible causes of this diagnostic code are listed below:

•A charging system component has failed.

•The wiring in the machine harness has failed.

•The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

Note: On D5M and D6M machines, check the air inlet heater for a short to +battery.

269 04 This diagnostic code is for the sensor supply of the transmission oil temperature sensor or the steering oil temperature sensor.Both sensors are never present on the same machine. Refer to the Electrical System Schematic for the machine that is being serviced in order to determine the sensor that is on the machine.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the voltage of the supply circuit for the sensor (709-OR) is below the normal range. The transmission oil temperature sensor or the steering oil temperature sensor will not operate. The transmission may not shift smoothly when the transmission oil is cold (medium tractors). Top brake pressure will be reduced to a pressure near the pressure at brake touch up and the brakes may drag lightly.

•The supply circuit (709-OR) to the sensor is shorted to ground.

•The sensor has failed.

•The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

Ensure that the CID 0269 FMI 04 is on hold and that the diagnostic code indicator shows "SERV CODE". This procedure can cause a CID 0177 FMI 03. This procedure can cause a CID 0075 FMI 03. Ignore these created problems. When the procedure is completed, clear the created problems.

298 02 This diagnostic code is for the service brake pedal switch.

This diagnostic code is recorded when the status of the service brake pedal switch is wrong. The switch closes the circuit between the battery and the secondary brake solenoid when the service brake pedal is fully pressed. A diagnostic code is recorded when the ECM detects an open circuit and the switch is near the floor.

•The Signal circuit (G731-GY) is open or shorted.

•+Battery wire (198-RD) is open.

•The switch is not adjusted correctly.

•The switch has failed.

•The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

621 02 This diagnostic code is for the push button switch (downshift).

Table 1

Switch Circuits at the ECM Connector

CID/Switch

Switch State

ECM Connector and Contact No.

Switch Connector Contact

Wire No.

Status

CID 0621
Downshift
Switch Not Activated J1-20 N/O N/O (1) F781-BR O (2)
J1-29 N/C N/C (3) F784-YL G (4)
Activated J1-20 N/O N/O F781-BR G
J1-29 N/C N/C F784-YL O

( 1 ) N/O = Normally Open.
( 2 ) O = Open.
( 3 ) N/C = Normally Closed.
( 4 ) G = Grounded.

This switch has two inputs to the ECM. The inputs are Normally Open and Normally Closed. During normal operation, one of the inputs is open and the other input is grounded. A failure is detected when both inputs are in the same state at the same time. The transmission will fail to downshift when the downshift switch is pressed.

Note: The diagnostic code CID 0621 FMI 02 will be displayed only after the transmission downshift switch has be held for approximately 15 seconds. If the diagnostic code indicator does not display this code after 15 seconds then other causes for the failure should be investigated.

•There is an open wire between the common circuit (G939-PK) and the ECM.

•There is an open wire between the normally open contact of the switch and the ECM.

•There is an open wire between the normally closed contact of the switch and the ECM.

•The switch has failed.

•The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

Note: Ensure that the diagnostic code is on hold and that the diagnostic code indicator shows "SERV CODE".

689 05 This diagnostic code is for the solenoid for the left steering brake.

This diagnostic code is recorded when current of the solenoid is below normal.

Note: Ensure that the CID 0689 FMI 05 for the solenoid is on hold and that the diagnostic code indicator shows "SERV CODE".

690 05 This diagnostic code is for the Solenoid for the Right Steering Brake.

Note: Ensure that the CID 0690 FMI 05 for the solenoid is on hold and that the fault present indicator shows "SERV CODE".

722 03 This diagnostic code is recorded when the voltage of the solenoid circuit is above normal. The brakes will not disengage and the machine will not move.

Note: Ensure that CID 0722 FMI 03 is on hold and that the fault present indicator shows "SERV CODE". In order to correctly determine the status of the fault present indicator, turn the keyswitch ON while the brake pedal is completely released. Completely depress the pedal and release the pedal again. The fault present indicator will only show "SERV CODE" for CID 0722 FMI 03 when the pedal is released. This will happen only after the pedal has been cycled completely since the last powerup. Use the same procedure in order to clear the diagnostic code after repairs have been made.

I have seen many issues with the last code and it cleared when the brake pedal is pressed to the floor. This will usually flash the brake warning light and the service light. If only the service light is flashing and the fuel gauge is stuck on empty, that fault is from the fuel gauge not working.

If you need more help on this, let me know details of the warning lights you see and which codes are displaying the words SERV CODE when the code is shown in the display window.

a
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Thank you, Donnie,

I will check on the "serv code" in the display window. I was writing #s fast as I could and didn't know to note that. Thank you again, this is great. This is my first modern "era" dozer. Like it real well. 35 years ago we had an allis chalmers H-3. then my brother got a 1980 cat d-3. needless to say all controls were mechanical.

Thanks for the accept of my answer. Please post the updated list when you can. I will be glad to help.

These are good machines to start using electronic controls. They are not overly complicated but, they controls are advanced and make it so easy for the operator it is almost silly.

You can purchase a manual and cover nearly every part of this tractor. The only special tool needed is the 4C-8195 control box (clicker box) to calibrate and test nearly every electronic function.

The only thing you would need a dealer for is, ecm replacement or software upgrade. This machine most likely is using the latest version and will not need any updates.

Please remember to always use the highest quality filters. This machine must have clean fuel and oils. Not maintaining theses systems WILL cause failures. I would recommend CAT filter for the best service life. If you use anything else, shorten the service interval and demand the spec's on the off brand filters to exceed CAT spec's.

thank you, that sounds encouraging. (the part about the 4c-8195 control box). I guess the only current code was the downshift code and maybe the fuel gage. Oh and the heater blower must have been adding it's two cents worth. Anyway, put in new upshift and downshift switch, ran it 5 or 6 hours yesterday and never flashed a ! warning once. put about 26 hours on it this past week and I really, really like it. weatherman says three days of rain, so wont get much done this week.

Thank you again for the help, you have an excellent service.

Thank you Roger. I am glad I could help.

If you ever need help again, feel free to ask for me.

I have enjoyed helping you and hope the weather will clear for you soon.

Regards, Donnie