Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

we have a Cat 336D. It is flashing the code "power system…

we have a Cat 336D...
we have a Cat 336D. It is flashing the code "power system limited" . Its de-regulating the hydraulics.
4/18/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

catmastertech :

Have you check the backup mode switch?

catmastertech :

Is it saying Limited Mobility Mode?

catmastertech :

This would be due to a fault code that is an active event and is related to a problem logged in the machine's ecm.

catmastertech :

Can you check you fault codes to see what is active?

catmastertech :

You can view them through the display panel.

catmastertech :

Use the password XXXXX to see them. NOTE: DO NOT CLEAR ANY CODES, you may need to view them again for other problems.

catmastertech :

List all the codes you find and I can help you more

Customer:

hello,

Customer:

the only codes it is showing are 39'91-8 39'2300-9

catmastertech :

Do you have the machine serial number?

Customer:

DHW3K01433

catmastertech :

Ok, let me look up those codes.

catmastertech :

CID 0091 FMI 08 Throttle Position signal abnormal

Conditions Which Generate This Code:

The Electronic Control Module (ECM) detects a signal for the throttle position that is not in the operating range of the control.

System Response:

The ECM will log the diagnostic code. The ECM flags the throttle position as invalid data. The last valid engine speed will be maintained as the desired engine speed until one of the following conditions occur:

The ECM receives an input from the throttle backup switch for a different engine speed.

The signal from the throttle switch becomes valid and the signal from the throttle switch remains valid.

The throttle backup switch must be used to set engine speed.

Perform the following diagnostic procedure: Throttle Switch Circuit - Test

catmastertech :

I do not see a 2300 code. Are you sure this is correct?

Customer:

operator is checking one sec

catmastertech :

It could be the switch panel or touch pad and the right side.

catmastertech :

Is this machine have electrical power issues? Dead battery or alternator?

Customer:

no, only had issues with the lights flickering once and a while the last few weeks

catmastertech :

Did the display say "Limited Mobility Mode"?

catmastertech :

On the D model, you can press the key and see more information about the code.

catmastertech :

I did find a listing for the panel, it too related to connection issue.

catmastertech :

This could be from rapid key switching on and off.

catmastertech :

No troubleshooting as present for this code.

catmastertech :

Did you check the backup switch?

sorry for the delay, excavator is at a site with poor cell coverage

Yes, it said limited mobility mode.

the operator cleared the codes and now it is running, but not at 100% hydraulic power.

He should not have cleared the codes. Now we can only assume what he sent us is correct.

Did he check the backup switches?

the operator is not sure what the back up switches are? please explain

The two switches located behind the right arm rest. He has likely hit these switches moving something behind the seat. (Coat?)

One will flip the ecm off and create these codes. It is used for failures in the ecm circuits only. This will display "Limited Mobility Mode" when on.

Flip the switch back to automatic and the code will clear.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

k they have switched those switches, and the machine is still not running at full hydraulic power

Is it up to operating temperature?

Do you have another fault code?

What is the display saying now?

Why does he still believe it is not at full power?

Something not right on the display or the sound of the machine?

Its at operating temp, no more codes, nothing .

they are still saying its not at full power,,,

i guess we will watch it for the next few hrs.

thanks for the help on good friday

I hope the operators manual is in the cab. If so, have them view the power mode select switches. Verify they have not set the machine to heavy lift or economy modes.

This can be switched on by the touch pad on the right console.

Also verify the fuse for the radio is good, this is the power source for the switch panel on the right console. This panel maybe failing. I have seen one fail but, this is rare.

The two switch touch pads to the rear of the panel have icons for the boom and a hook. If the green light is on, this could be the problem. Heavy lift reduces engine speed, not power, for safety.

Boom switch (sometimes this a gas pump) icon will change the power modes. The display will briefly show, Economy, Standard or High power. These all use the same hydraulic power, they only change the engine speed for fuel savings.

Let me know if you have more issues or a code returns. I will be glad to help.

Thanks, Donnie