Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have an 06 t190 with 325 hours now. I had an issue about…

I have an '06 t190...
I have an '06 t190 with 325 hours now. I had an issue about two years ago and bobcat came out but could not duplicate the issue. They found the unit not operational but could not explain. They took things apart and put the same back together and it has worked since. Currently the unit starts and runs great but then for no reason when you push the green button to engage hydraulics and move it nothing happens. A code of dr-2 comes up but not all the time. Bobcat wanted to replace control panel for big $$$$ but also said it could be door switch? They only wanted to replace parts. Any help is appreciated.
3/26/2014
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 8 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Greetings, I don't know if I can help since you had Bobcat "hands on" working on the machine and couldn't fix it, might be a shot in the dark for me being disconnected from it and just discussing it, a bit of a disadvantage. But I'll be glad to stay with you and see if we can come up with a solution. But I can tell you the DR-2 is not a trouble code, it's a Drive Response value, i.e., Drive Response 2. The drive response changes the drive and steering responsiveness. DR-1 = less responsive, DR-2 = normal response, DR-3 = more responsive. There's something else is causing your problem. Is this a machine with Advance Hand Controls or Selectable Joysticks? Could you provide the machine serial number, and BTW, Bobcat has a nine digit s/n, if you post nine numbers here the website will think it's a phone number and XXXX it out on my end. Post the serial number using words instead of numbers, i.e., Five One Seven, etc.

Oh, and another thing, every Bobcat I've worked on that has a door with door switch, you can disconnect the door switch harness, remove the door entirely, and operate the machine. I've never seen a Bobcat that doesn't work that way. Having said that, when you disconnected the door switch harness and machine still wouldn't work, door switch not the problem. Sounds like your Bobcat dealer is a bit clueless.
Something else I need to know. You drop the seat bar, start the engine, then press the green enable button. Do any of the 4 BICS LED's light up? Are there any beeps? Are any of the 4 BICS LED's flashing? At any point of no operation do you hear beeps from the alarm?
Only one of four lights comes on. No beeps no flashing lights. I guess I have to let them guess and change parts Sounds like a screwing is forth coming. I don't understand your door comment. If you disconnect the wiring to the door why remove it?
I use a T190 quite frequently changing big rubber tracks on crawler dumpers using a set of forks. I have to climb in and out of the machine with the loader arms sometimes raised a bit. The door gets in my way doing this. I simply disconnect the harness connections at the door, door switch and wiper harness, remove the door, machine still works. That's all I'm saying, when you disconnected the harness at the door connection and your machine still didn't work, not a problem with the door switch.

As for your BICS LED's, if you only have one light up, no beeps, no flashing of the others, then it's not sensing any faults. Any time a Bobcat senses a fault you will get beeps from the alarm and a code. Since you're not getting that, possible problems could be 1)faulty BICS panel (the panel on the left with green button), faulty ECU (but that is rare, I don't condemn an ECU unless I'm fair certain that's the problem), or the most likely cause is a problem in the wiring harness (which is almost always a PITA to find).

Be sure and take apart that harness connector where the cab harness joins up with the lower frame harness. It's a big rectangular connection just above the hydraulic tank. With the cab raised, follow that bundle of wiring coming down from back of the cab headed down. Follow that bundle until you run into the connector. Disconnect it and check the connector pins/sockets for corrosion or bad connections.

Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager