Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 420e it backhoe, when you put it in gear it kicks…

I have a 420e it...
I have a 420e it backhoe, when you put it in gear it kicks into neutral but not all the time and same in reverse or forward, but not all the time
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

catmastertech :

You may have a broken wire on the neutralizer circuit.

catmastertech :

Have you checked the operation of the neutralizer switches?

catmastertech :

Unfortunately, all of these controls feed back to the ECM. You will need CAT ET software to troubleshoot the operation of the switches to see if the ECM is being triggered.

catmastertech :

You can inspect you fuses and wiring to see if anything is damaged or loose. Beyond inspect for problems, not much you will be able to check.

Customer:

the machine still being used for 8 hrs a day, but still kicks into neutral once in a while.

catmastertech :

If it is not a loose connection, you may have a bad switch. The neutralizer switches did have issues sticking.

catmastertech :

A bad wire could short when bouncing around on a rough road.

Customer:

is that the main shifter on the dash that you are referring to.

catmastertech :

No, you have two switches. One is on the loader lever and the other is on the shift lever. Both disconnect the transmission when pressed.

catmastertech :

A third switch is on the dash for transmission lockout. If this switch fails, it would also disconnect the transmission.

catmastertech :

The lockout switch is not a common failure.

catmastertech :

The neutralizer switches have had more problems and should be checked to see if they click when you press them.

catmastertech :

If the switch is failing, it will not have a noticeable click.

Customer:

does the forward and reverse shifter with the 4 transmission speeds on the handle have any problems.

Customer:

thank-you for all your help.

catmastertech :

The direction shifter can have the same issue if wiring is damaged. Normally you will not be able to start the engine because the neutral start circuit is wired through the direction shifter.

catmastertech :

Not starting is the main complaint I see when the direction shifter fails.

catmastertech :

Since this E model is ECM controlled, It does not have the same trouble as the older models.

catmastertech :

Also, don't forget the check the fluid level when the oil is hot and the engine is running.

catmastertech :

This can cause the drive to slip and may seem to drop out to some degree.

Customer:

From the information you have given me, i have noticed that after a road trip that seems to cut out alot more so will be checking the wiring, before I change the directional shifter which is expensive. Thank-you very much . I will be in touch if I need more information.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician