Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Caterpillar 950 FII - - unit will not move.... Ser#5SK1471…

Caterpillar 950 FII...
Caterpillar 950 FII - - unit will not move.... Ser#5SK1471

Engine starts, hydraulic boom works however wheeloader will not move in either forward or reverse. I took the starter off to have it checked and the crank case had roughly 10 gallons of oil in it. So either torque is bad or something else. I could hear some noise coming from the tranny as well. Let me know your thoughts

3/12/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I would like to help you with this problem.

I don't understand what you are describing about the oil. Did you have ten gallons of oil run out of the starter hole? Or did you have ten gallons of oil drained from the engine oil pan?

Have you tried switching off the transmission neutralizer or auto-shift to see if any function will return?

Have you checked the transmission pump pressure?

Have you check the transmission filter for debris?

If you check the filter, replace it with a new filter and cut the old one open to inspect it for the type of debris it has collected. This is a quick an easy tool to help determine what type of failure may have happened.

If you drain the oil to check for metal, remove the strainer and check the magnets for metal. Any large pieces would be trapped in it and would indicate how much damage you have. (If any, hopefully none)

Are you batteries up and the charging system working correctly?

This engine will run after jump starting but, the transmission is electric controlled and must have full battery voltage at all times. Too high or too low will cause the machine to not move.

Please let me know what you find and I will be glad to help you pin point the problem.

WOW - - lots of possiblities per your notes. The 10 gallons of came out of the bell housing after I removed the starter and plug from the bottom of the bell housing (not oil pan)..

I have drained the oil and no metal found on the magnet.

I will change the filter and cut the old one in half and follow up with my findings.

With respects to switching off the transmission neutralizer or auto-shift to see if any function will return - - have not done this - - - HOWEVER i'm not sure where either of these controls are located - - If you could provide some guidance on their approximate location that would be helpful.

I have NOT checked the pump pressure but if you could point me to check point and procedure for checking.

Thanks again for your professional guidance

Thanks for the reply. You should not have that much oil in the flywheel housing. It should drain normally back into the transmission transfer case. I have seen the rubber isolator crack and fall off the torque convertor and cause a restriction over this drain slot. Also this problem would be aggravated by high leakage from the convertor.

The transmission neutralizer switch is on the right console. It is the second or third switch depending on the dash used in your machine. It has a gear with a lock and the letter N inside the image.

Press the bottom of the switch in order to activate the transmission neutralizer. When the left brake pedal is depressed, the transmission will be disengaged and the service brake will be applied. This will allow the operator to increase engine speed for better hydraulic response.

Press the top of the switch in order to deactivate the transmission neutralizer. The left brake pedal will not disengage the transmission. The left brake pedal will operate as a conventional brake pedal.

I have seen this cause problems when the micro switch in the left pedal is stuck and causes the transmission ecm to think you are applying the brake.

If this is the problem, switch the neutralizer off will tell the ecm to ignore the switch and the transmission will stay engaged when the left pedal is pressed.

The auto shift switch is in the second group of switches closer the rear of the console. It should be the second switch of the bottom row.The image is a gear with the letters AUT inside it.

I have seen some ecms not work in certain speeds because the auto shift feature was on and the transmission speed sensors were not working. This would cause the transmission to not engage when the shift lever was in a higher gear. This problem did not happen on all models just a few have had this problem. I still like to switch it off and only use manual shifting when I am troubleshooting a problem.

Some transmission pressure testing can be done at the pump pressure tap. This is located at the plug on top of the filter housing. You will need a short elbow fitting to adapt to the port and to your test hose. Not much room to work with. You may need to remove the base to the fitting installed.

The oil pressure should be 310 psi at lo idle and 390 psi at hi idle.

Shift through each gear to see if you find any drops in pressure to help locate a leaking clutch.

If you have good pressure in neutral and it does not drop in any gear, the transmission is not engaging. If the pressure is low all the time, further test will be needed.

The transmission only holds 12 gallons. It should be checked before starting to verify it is in the safe range and then recheck after starting to see if the level is still between the MIN and MAX marks while it is running.

If you refill the transmission and the level is correct, run the machine to see if all the oil has been sucked out of the case. This would cause all the oil pressure to drop and the transmission would not run. It is very rare to have the oil trapped up in the flywheel housing. I have seen this once but, it seemed like a million to one shot it could happen again.

If you drained more than 12 gallons total from the transmission and flywheel housing, you may have a pump dumping hydraulic oil into the transmission. If you have been loosing hydraulic oil and not knowing where, this could be the problem. It should not cause the transmission to quit though. Overheat, yes, quit, not likely.

Good Evening and update from end. I think we have an electrical problem. For some odd reason, there is no power in the cab and will only start if you jump at that starter. Will resume my efforts in the morning. Looking for a wiring diagrahm for a 950 F II 5SK1471 Will update you in the morning.

Thanks for your professional guidance

Thanks for the update. This will definitely prevent the transmission to engage. It must have full system voltage to function properly. Electronic controls shutoff when voltage falls below 18 volts.

First check your main and alternator circuit breakers on the relay box in the engine compartment. You also have a keyswitch fuse in this box. These must work to turn on the main relay inside the box.

You machine is a little different from other 950F you will need to order the SENR6677

schematic to match your machine.

I can help you with some of this but, for a whole schematic, you need to purchase it from the dealer.

Keep me informed of anything you find. If this does not fix the transmission issue, we can pickup the troubleshooting from there.

Thanks, Donnie

Greetings - - its been since March 14th since we spoke on this matter. I've been out with a serious illness but I'm back on my feet. With that said, I'm getting back on the 950F II. Where I am - - still do not have electric to the transmission hence it won't work. There is no power in the cab and I have to start by jumping at the starter. I ran a short wire to from the fuel selinoid to turn off the machine. Based off your professional opinion, what would be the next best steps??

Thanks again

I would check the power to the main relay. This has battery power to the large post. If this does not have power check the circuit breakers. Then check the operation of the main relay. The key switch should send power to the main relay and close the contacts of the main relay. This will power the circuits in the cab and this should power the transmission ecm and shifter. Once you have power, the transmission should work.

Was the issue with the fuel shutoff present before you remove the starter. If not, you have wired the starter wrong and will burn out the solenoid or cause the battery to go dead.

Good Afternoon

I've installed all new circuit breakers, main relay and one other relay plus all the fuse holders. The curcuit box for the most part is replaced. I have power in the cab, headlights, and some componets work in the cab. However the key switch will not turn over the engine. Perhaps I have some of the wiring wrong at the starter. It would be nice to have an image of a starter already wired from a service manual - that might help. Let me know your thoughts and next steps.

You have been busy! Unfortunately, the manual does not have an image of the wiring. The next best thing is the schematic. You can purchase this from the dealer if you do not have one. The part number is XXXXX

I will attach some cutouts from this to help you. I cannot send the whole schematic out, it is a copyright violation.

Starter wiring

I doubt you have a problem here.

I would double check the key switch power to the start relay in the box on the 306 green wire. This is from the key after it passes through the shifter.

If the 306 green wire does not hove power move to the shifter next.

Below is the shifter wiring, the 306 wire will allow power from the key switch 307 orange wire when the shifter is in neutral. If the power is coming from the key switch 307 orange wire when in the crank position, place a jumper wire between 307 orange wire and the 306 green wire and try to start the machine. If the starter works, the shifter has failed, replace the shifter.

If you need more help or have problems, please let me know.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician