Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I Have a Caterpillar cat 247 b2 2008, New ecu for auxillary…

Customer Question
I Have a Caterpillar cat...
I Have a Caterpillar cat 247 b2 2008, New ecu for auxillary circuit , all joystick orings replaced and circuits checked, all pump pressures ok, -Cat mechanic with skidsteer experience or experience Hydraulics person to answer questions ?

1) Hydraulics slow to lift . I estimate they become 20% slower after warm up. The cat dealer has said hydro pump tested OK with pressure etc. Help on this please. I have a 216 b as well and it is at least 25- 40% faster on lift to full high cold at idle

2) the auxillary circuit to my 4n1 bucket losses pressure ( opens up slightly and you get dirt in your lap when lifting high so continued need to close circuit to aux with thumb ) and sometimes has no pressure at all and the front of bucket swings like a barn door in wind. The cat dealer has replaced a "square" Oring on solenoid on auxillary circuit , they thought they fixed it but still has fault

Cheers Paul
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/9/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Wow, sounds like you have had your fill of the dealer repairs. I am surprised they have given up on this problem. It would be a challenge to me. I suspect you have had a series of problems.

I don't understand why a dealer would replace the ecm for any of these issues.

Did they explain what repairs they did and why?

Have you experienced a major failure in the hydraulic system?

Is this machine doing some special work or is it used for general utility work?

Please post the full serial number so I can research issues related to this machine.

I have hydraulic experience but, it is on larger machines. Most repairs I have performed on these machines have been for electrical problems.

I will be glad to help but, I expect this will take some time to eliminate all these issues.

Ecu replaced because aux did not work at all .Main thing was replaced o'ring on aux solenoid valve. No major Hydraulic failure. Only owned machine for 6 months after importing from US, No special work. Serial num mtl 05433. Will get invoice out tonite and post more details

Thanks for the information. Did the dealer list the charge / pilot pressure?

Did they say what the main and circuit relief pressures are?

Have you measured the cycle times for the lift and the tilt functions? If so, what is the lift time, lower time,dump time and tilt back time?

What are the times for your 216?

Is the fan speed normal? Does it turn about the same as your 216? Does the fan speed up much as the engine warms or when you speed the engine up?

Just to be clear, the "hydro"static pump is separate from the hydraulic pump. I am assuming you mean the hydraulic pump was tested. Was it tested off the machine or flow tested on the machine?

Its late here, will will put stop watch on machines tomorrow, can see if I can get info from Cat dealer

Cheers Paul

Ok, thanks for the update.

I have not found any service letters about this problem. This has not been a repeat issue for Cat.

Do you have pressure testing tooling available? Flow meters? Photo-tachometer?

Still waiting for cat to email info

Paul

Ok, the site generates some automatic replies. You may need to keep me posted so the question does not time-out. I think this reply will hold it for a few more days.

I am fine with waiting. I will be looking for your reply. Thanks, Donnie

This is info just arrived from Cat - Cheers Paul

We got 3472psi on the aux circuit both ways so is within spec of: 3554 ± 102 psi. We checked the entire system and only found the one damaged o-ring and since replacing couldn’t get the system to fault (bucket opening up by itself)

The only next thing you could check is the joystick switches, although it wouldn’t fault for us it could be an intermittent fault causing it to stay on slightly every now and then and open.

This is the job story as follows:

TROUBLE SHOOT AUX HYDRAULIC SYSTEM

CHECK ELECTRICAL SYSTEM OF AUX HYDRAULIC SYSTEM

CLEAN ALL CONNECTORS

CHECK RELIEF VALVES

FOUND ONE DAMAGED ORING ON SOLENOID

REPLACE O RING

FILL HYDRAULIC TANK

CLEAN MACHINE

TEST AUX SYSTEM - OK, NO FAULTS

I have been digging through the reports of hydraulic problems for this machine and cannot find anything related the problem you are having.

I have not seen this problem myself so, I cannot say I have seen anything that may cause this issue.

I am sorry I have not been able to find an answer for you.

I will opt-out to allow others to review this question. Maybe someone else has an idea that can help you.

Mechanic: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 8 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

I’m Michelle, and I’m moderator for this topic. It seems the Expert has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the Expert thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new expert to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from another one of the Experts?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Taxes, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Michelle-Moderator

Yes I still want somebody to look at this, please

Cheers Paul

Thank you, we will continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Michelle-Moderator