Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hello Curtis, I have a John Deere 6675 skid steer. It was…

Hello Curtis, I...
Hello Curtis, I have a John Deere 6675 skid steer. It was working fine when I turned it off to answer a phone call. When I completed the call I tried to start it and the only sound it made when I turned the key was in the two starter switches directly under the fuse panel near the engine, they make a clicking sound. I have a fluid light coming on above your forehead. It is the cluster of six on the right side, the top left in that cluster. I have checked all fluids and they are at correct levels. I have no voltage on the top bolt on either swith at the fuse box when i turn the key. I have no voltage at the starter at any time. I cannot get the starter to activate. Thanks Craig
2/27/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

The two solenoids are one for starter and one is for the lockout solenoids on the valve body.

Curtis B. :

The one for starter should have bigger cables that the other. Jump across this solenoid and see if starter engages? I assume you have voltage to it. If starter engages , problem is the solenoid or the signal from key switch to solenoid. If starter does not engage, the starter or cable to it is fault.

JACUSTOMER-kb3okg1b- :

I was in the process of checking the connection to the starter from the battery. The wire to the terminal was loose and i cleaned the connection and tried to jump the skidsteer thinking the battery might not have been recharging. I was not able to get the starter to turn by the key. I went back to respond and was unable to because you went off line. I am planning on taking off the starter today and check it. When i used a cable from the battery to the starter it only spun. Didnt engage the flywheel. I didnt know responces were time sensative

Curtis B. :

They are not time sensitivity, I might have been walking my dogs.

Curtis B. :

Do you have voltmeter to check the battery voltage and draw? Let me know on the starter. But when jumping starter, if you don't jump from switch wire to positive wire, the solenoid will not pull the gear into the flywheel and just freewheel the starter motor.

Customer: The battery voltage is 12.5. I have 12.5 v on the two switches at fuse box. Key turned I have 10.5 on the rear one and 11 on the front one. Starter bolt has 0. I found a wire with a plug coming out of the harness by the starter. The wire has a plug on the end about 1/4 wide flat rectangle female plug with a rubber boot. The wire reads .08 no key and 11 with key on. I cant see the starter well because the bucket arm is down and entry is limited. Thanks
Curtis B. :

Space is limited! The starter should have battery voltage at the cable on solenoid. You should have a single terminal on the starter solenoid, which will be the switch wire. Jumping positive to the switch wire should energize the starter.

Curtis B. :

Your battery voltage is low , but it might be enough to start, but if battery drops below 8 volts, when starter is engaged, the battery is dead.

Customer: I found the place to plug in the wire and it starts now. You led me in the right direction and got me to question the starter again when you told me about it turning and not engaging the flywheel. Thank you soo much for your help. I have to get back to work since i am now far behind. Lol.
Curtis B. :

Good job! Thank you.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician