Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat 416 C back hoe, serial number 01WR088

I have a Cat 416...

I have a Cat 416 C back hoe, serial number 01WR088 That won't start, everything checks and sounds right, so i jumped it at starter and started it running, now it won't go in forward or reverse, this tells me that the neutral safety switch is bad.(one of them)? I checked the two neutral buttons, cleaned them with contact cleaner and they sound and feel good, so I removed the forward and reverse shifter the part number on this is(NNN) NNN-NNNN02 thinking there is a swith in it? there is wiring harness that has 12 pins, am I getting close? Help Help Thank You XXXX XXXXX PH: XXX-XXX-XXXX

2/26/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello Mike, please do not post personal information on the questions. It is open to the public and everyone can see it.

The serial number you posted is not complete. Unfortunately, a serial number break could mean the information I find is wrong. Please update the full serial number so I can check the correct schematic.

The serial number will be 1WR-----, the prefix is followed by five numbers.

My first guess on this problem is the shifter has failed. This has been a common problem.

I have compared the two versions and the difference would only change if you have a powershift transmission, this is not common. Most only use the four speed floor shift with a shuttle control(NNN) NNN-NNNN This part has changed and you may need a jumper harness to replace it with a new version.

A quick test to see if the shifter is the problem or power to the shift is a problem can be done at the shuttle shifter.

First verify your transmission fuse is good. (Yes this has been the only fault on some machines) It is located in the steering column. Remove the top cover to access the fuses.

Next disconnect the 12 pin connector in the shifter and test pin #1 for battery power with the key on. Check pin to for continuity to chassis ground.

If you do not have power at pin #1, the neutralizer button wiring is damaged. Power comes from the fuse, through both switches to the #1 pin at the shifter.

If pin#1 has full battery voltage, then the circuit is good.

Next place a jumper in pin#6 to pin #7 (I use a paperclip) and try to start the engine. If the engine starts, the starting circuit is good.

The problem is the shuttle shifter and it must be replaced.

Expect it to cost over $200.

If you need more help, please let me know.

Thanks, Donnie.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician