Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

D6m - engine rpm does not drop but tracks slow to crawl under…

D6m - engine rpm does...
D6m - engine rpm does not drop but tracks slow to crawl under heavy load ?? Changed trans oil filter . Engine rpm 2200 ?
2/24/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Sorry I missed your question earlier.

I am not sure I understand you problem.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Which gear are you using?

What type of work are you doing and what are the current conditions?

Is this problem present when the transmission is cold or hot?

What is happening to the transmission/ torque convertor gauge reading when you have this tractor stalled?

What did you find in the filter? Did you cut it open for a thorough inspection?

How did the oil look? Do you know what oil is in the transmission?

Can you test the transmission, torque convertor and steer/brake pressures? If so, record all the pressures cold and then hot to see how much pressure drops when hot.

Please include the full serial number with your reply.

Does'nt have gauge.filter & oil looked ok. Does it hot or cold. I am pushing pushing stump piles & dirt . Don't have way of testing pressures (on farm) . 2RNO493 ser no. Pushing in 1st &2nd.

Thanks for the reply.

The gauge second from left on the top row is for the transmission oil temperature.

It actually reads the oil temperature on the outlet of the torque convertor line. That is what makes this gauge the most important next to the water temperature.

This will show when the load is to great for the machine as the transmission oil will heat very fast and can damage the convertor if you do not reduce the load or back away and allow the oil time to cool. This can cause serious damage when clearing land as this machine is so small and cannot push the heavy loads the larger tractor can. The problem is only made worse when these small dozers are equipped as LGP and have that wide blade. They are the most abused tractors out there.

If your gauge is not working, I highly recommend repairing it. It is a simple electric gauge and has one wire to the sensor on the convertor outlet valve.

It is common for the wire to break or the sensor to fail.

Since you do not have test gauges, the only test you can do is to remove the floor plate and watch the drive shaft. If you are pushing a load and the drive shaft is still spinning when the tracks are not moving, the transmission is slipping.

If the drive shaft stops spinning when the machine stops moving, the slip is in the convertor.

Repairs should focus on the convertor oil flow and pressures first. Then if the pressures test ok, but, the slippage is still high and it heats the oil quickly even under light loads, the convertor should be rebuilt.

The converter is not to difficult to remove. They best trick to do this is placing the machine up on 8" blocks to allow plenty of room to drop it out the bottom.

You will need to drain the hydraulic and transmission oils and remove both pumps.

It helps to remove the convertor valves as well.

If the problem appears to be the transmission. You will need something to do some heavy lifting. The transmission is around 3000 lbs.

This is more involved as you must remove the axle sets and

be able to roll the transmission out the back. I this machine has high hours (over 12,000) expect to rebuild both the convertor and transmission.

If I can help you further on this problem, please feel free to ask. I will be glad to help.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Is 2200 correct rpm for the 3116 engine or could I be running to low ?

High idle is 2360 rpm

1932 is the torque convertor stall speed.

I am assuming you are seeing the 2200 with the engine at full throttle and brakes locked with the transmission in third speed forward.

This would be high and indicate some slipping.

Recently replaced throttle linkage . High idle no load set @ 2200. Sounds like I need to increase engine rpm ?

Yes, the factory original setting was 2325, you can go as high as 2360 rpm.

This will not have much effect on the torque convertor stall but, it may feel different.

U said watch transmission temp . What should it run. What is max?

Sorry I could not reply earlier. I was out at work and did not have good access to the web.

The needles should point in the straight up range for normal. The red should begin about 240°F and the alarm should be steady at 265°F. The CMS panel has a separate switch for the light on these older machines. It will be next to the sender for the gauge but, this switch will have two wires on it.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Thanks ! You have been very helpful

Glad I could help. Please feel free to ask for me should you need anything else.