Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Cat 312 grayShut down last eve and everything good. This…

Cat 312 gray Shut down last...
Cat 312 gray

Shut down last eve and everything good. This morn crank up but no audible horn and console goes dead/blank after cranking, throttle does not operate
Engine will run but not enough power to motivate. more info... the panel stays lite for 3 or 4 seconds while displaying 888 where power range is normally. I have isolated voltage to panel off the switch and it is good to panel when the panel goes blank.
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/22/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Check the machine controller and see what color lights are on. If the red light is on, the failure is the machine controller.

Also verify the backup switch wires are not loose or shorted.

Let me know what serial number you have, maybe I can match it to a US version.

The controller is in the battery box, is that correct? Don't recall any lights but will check. Back up switch is located where? Be tomorrow as the machine is deep in the woods.

S/N 7 DK or GK 02085

Yes the box is usually with the battery compartment. You should have three lights.

Red, Yellow and Green.

Red is defective controller. Yellow is communication error. Green is normal.

Key must be on, of course.

Back up switches are in the rear cover of each armrest. One side is for pump and other side controls engine speed.

Place the machine in back and test the functions. Dash should be off but, the engine speed can be controlled and the pump will be set at 80% power. This is so you can move the machine when you have a controller issue.

It will not bypass an electrical problem in the machine to the engine/pump controls.

Let me know what you find and I will be glad to help.

no lites lit with key on,working by myself so they may lite and go out?

switches to right of armrest are turtle/rabbit..no effect either way

man/auto ..switched to man and she cranked at 80% or so

no way to kill so had to vise grip pump cable wheel

what now? is the 888 mean anything?

no lights lit,should one stay on?

back up switch on the side of right armrest

1 turtle and rabbit with no effect

man/auto toggled to man and it cranked

manual throttle did not adjust speed

80% throttle was right on

but you forgot to tell me how to kill

had to vise grip the pump cable wheel

may be 2nd time sending

No lights mean no power to controller. Check all the relays and power wires. Look for red and purple wires.

OK, all fuses in batt box are good. Relays that are in the batt box listed for other components. Should I probe all the red and purple wires going into controller? Or take wiring boot off and probe? Does power originate from the instrument panel? Where would any other relays be? Again, does 888 mean anything?

Probing what I could discovered that the frame is hot i.e. it has 12volts from

battery neg terminal to frame. Not right in my book. Nothing smoking. I have disconnected both neg terminals. Need guidance.

I am sorry I could not reply earlier. I am away from my pc and have a difficult time trying to work from my phone. I will be back home tonight.
If you need urgent help, you can relist the question to see if anyone else can assist you.
When I can access my servers I can get you a list of possible power problems and the locations of the wires to check.
I would disconnect the connector to test them. Probing wires leave them open to moisture and further trouble.

I do apologize for mot be much help right now. I do promise to answer back tonight.

OK tonight will be fine. Got the batt situation figured when I looked at it.

Have moved the machine closer to the house now.

Ok, thank for your patience with me. I had a family issue I had to resolve. I just got back in and I have found the guide to help with this problem. I hope it will come through clearly.

Check to ensure that CONN1, 3, and 24 are properly connected. If the problem still exists, troubleshoot according to the following sequence chart.

Sorry for the double image, it is the same. I cannot get the first image to take, then send the second and both appear.

More will follow as I can upload it.

Below is the wiring for the engine and pump controller. Yours could be different since it is a gray market machine. Usually, this will be close though.

The fuse panel and relays will be after the controller.

Ok, it doubled the last image again. At least it went through.

On the chart, the Connector 1 location is the 40 pin connector on the controller.

Connector 3 is the 10 pin connector going into the relay box.

Connector 24 is from the keyswitch panel to the right console harness.

I think it is in the right side console (not the right armrest) .

In the chart, the testing refers to Connector 5, this is also in the relay box.

NOTE: the colors on the drawing are not the wire colors. The reference the power source or wire type.

Red wires are battery wires. Blue wires are key switched power wires (only have power when the key is on).

Green color is controller circuits.

Yellow wire are starting circuits.

I will be out some time Sunday but, should be able to respond much quicker if you need me.

Thanks again for your patience, Donnie

thanks for the info will check it out and get back with you

conn 1 3 and 24 are where? The key switch or controller? should they be hot? or grounded?

Green color is controller circuits.

Yellow wire are starting circuits.

I also sent two other post with wire break outs for the controller.

Battery has the +power and GRD is the ground - to chassis.

Did you get the other post?

relay box is where? does seat have to be removed to access right console harness? Hope to get to work tomorrow. Thanks for info.

yes I got the diagrams

The relay box is the big panel behind the cab. It holds the fuses, the relays, and other electrical items shown in the relay schematic I sent you.

I think the right cover will lift up enough to see the connector. If may be lower, I don't remember on these older machines, newer machines the connector can be seen by sliding the seat slides forward and looking at the back. Some covers did not go all the way to the rear.

I avoid taking this seat out as much as I can and I have never removed one for this repair. If I had to move it, I would only remove the mounting bolts and move it forward without removing any lines or harnesses.

Found an almost severed blue wire (insulation was only thing holding it together)about a quarter inch from 10 point connector. Peeled the wires, jumped it and will solder in a while. Cranked up fine. Saweet. At the risk of being presumptuous can you help me with another small problem? Is there a relay in the circuit to the pump shutdown solenoid? If so, where is it located? Thanks for the help. Send me the rating form and I will make you look good, not that you need my help but it can't hurt. Thanks for your help.

Glad you got it working.

Yes, it has a relay for shutdown. It is shown in the relay panel drawing I sent you.

Some of these machines have a separate fuse for shutdown. Before you go off on a goose chase, verify the fuse has power and a good connection. Swap the fuse with another fuse just to be certain it is not cracked.

The rating page should come up after you accept my answers.

If you need more help on this problem, feel free to ask. I will be glad to help.

In the relay box?

yes
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Still working on the cut off solenoid. It is good. Got any idea what size

the relay is and what part of the box it is located?

The box should layout the same as the drawing. You just need to turn the drawing sideways to have the terminal strip at the bottom.
Use the wire numbers to trace out the relay. Do not use the colors. Use the two letters after the numbers for color description.
The drawing colors are for the power source. Red - battery, Blue - keyswitch. etc.Most were small. Some use to be different but, not as large as the main relay.