Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

HiI have a Yale Diesel twin wheel drive forklift. I cannot…

Hi I have a Yale Diesel...
Hi
I have a Yale Diesel twin wheel drive forklift. I cannot find any chassic no. or plate.
i found a picture on Fork action.com of a UK truck and it was a very close
picture and said it was a Yale DP51 AT50-85 I968.

1. do you have any better pictures for ID purposes?
2. where can i download / get specifications and workshop manual for the manual
transmission.
Your may be able to solve my problem if i could identify the machine

Regards

Jim
2/21/2014
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

Can you upload a picture using the paperclip icon above the typing bar? Older Yales can be hard to identify, but I worked for a Yale dealer and have good connections with same.

Curtis B. :

With manual transmission, it can just need to be put back into neutral. Remove the shift cover, and see if you can move the gears until the neutral position is found, then re-install the shift cover and test. This happens when someone tries to shift transmission too fast!

Curtis B. :

Let me know. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-mkuxa4j6- :

Hi

JACUSTOMER-mkuxa4j6- :

Hi Mr Curtis

JACUSTOMER-mkuxa4j6- :

Thanks for your reply. I have removed both the plate over the release bearing fork and the cover and manual shift change. I real a lined both selectors to the center position and are free to move forward or back to select a gear (4 gears - 3 forward and one reverse). When in the center position the wheels will not turn only the 3 or 4 inches to take up the slack in the drive train. When the shift change leaver replaces it will not move the selectors or engage or leave any gear. Having said all that when i select any of the 4 gears by moving the selector forward or back i have the same result at the wheels and will not turn only to take up the slack in the drive train. There is a roller between the two selectors and under the shift selector leaver which will select the left or the right one. I am afraid my problem is something jammed lower down and i am not looking forward to removing the mast, drive axle and gear box for a look without a box repair manual. I am not a computer expert but i will try to attach a few pictures of it taken a few years ago. they are not great but maybe of some use if they will load. Regards Jim

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Maybe the problem is not in the transmission? If your raise the front wheels, can you rotate them freely? Transmission has short drive shaft between transmission and front axle? Maybe removing the drive shaft would let you see which area is locked. When did the transmission last work? How did problem begin?

Hi

I raised both front wheels at the outset expecting brakes were seized. Left wheel has about 3" movement and takes up slack in crown wheel and pinion. right wheel solid. The machine was not started or moved for possibly 5 or 6 months and stored in door in dry conditions and would not allow time for the brakes to bind todrum. When last used no problem.

Over the week end i started it and left it running for 15 or 20 minutes no problem then the engine died and there was a 10 second hiss. I removed the foot plate and there was no sign of any oil leak or pipe damage. I could smell hypoid oil and there was a pool under the bell housing. The only thing I could come up with was box breather blocked and it blew the oil seal under pressure into the bell housing.

After considering my options I restarted it and it shot oil out the holes in the bell housing. This would leave the bottom in the bell housing holding hypoid oil so the pressure plate and clutch disc must be running through the pool of oil which allowed the rotating flywheel to shoot the oil out the holes at the top of the bell housing.

I will add the right drum was pulled at an early stage so that ruled the brakes binding out. There was no point letting the brake pressure off or even looking in that area so i am looking at something wrong deep down in the works. Without a works manual or more information I don't what to just start ripping blindly.

Regards

Jim

Still need to identify the lift. Pictures would help. But is there a drive shaft between the transmission rear end, I assume there is none, it is direct connected. I see some interesting manuals on Ebay. Here is the link. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=Yale+DP+forklift++manual&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR1.TRC0.A0.H0.XYale+forklift++manual&_nkw=Yale+forklift++manual&_sacat=0

Hi

Sorry to say nothing on your net page sites

The site http://www.forkliftaction.com/yaleoldesttruck/

the second last machine from the bottom page one

Picture sent in by Chris Mell UK picture 25 of 27

shows it as being Age: 1968 - Model: DP 51 AT 50-85

This is my machine as far as I can tell. It is 46 years old and I am trying to play catch up.

Have you any spec. information on it????

Regards

Jim

No,I do not have anything on it. I would try one of the older books on Ebay and hope for the best. Trying to find a manual for the particular unit is going to be a frutal search. I worked for a Yale dealer and we would not have this one. Sorry.

No more questions. I guess i will just have to operate the hard way and see what i might find.

I did not give a rating.

Regards

Jim

Thank you for the reply. Good luck with it.

no point extending my monthly payments, please discontinue membership.

Regards

Jim

You will need to contact the site. I work from home and have nothing to do with account. Go to bottom of page, find About Us , and follow the instruction.