Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Have a Cat 226 skid steer. Believe it is a 1999. Park light…

Have a Cat 226 skid...
Have a Cat 226 skid steer. Believe it is a 1999. Park light and arm rest light both flashing. ECM located behind the cab with another under the floor..auxiliary? Is the test procedure the same as for a 226B? The wie colors are different than a B.
2/8/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Yes the B series is different but CAT had a serial number break in the A production. So, you still have two options in the A model run.

If you can post the serial number, I will see if I can find you the correct test.

Pin is 5FZ00456

I am sorry I could not respond earlier. I have been out all day and just got back in. I hope this is not too late to help you.

Below is the guide to help you find the problem with this early model machine.

If you run into something you need more information about, please feel free to ask as much as you need. I will be glad to help you all I can.

Parking Brake Indicator and Armrest Indicator Are Flashing

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AND/OR A FLASHING ARMREST INDICATOR BEFORE THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

Occupy the seat.

Place the armrest in the DOWN position.

Turn the key start switch to the ON position.
Expected Result:

The armrest indicator should be off and the parking brake indicator should be on.

Results:

OK - The armrest indicator is off and the parking brake indicator is on. Proceed to Test Step 9.

NOT OK - The armrest indicator is flashing and the parking brake indicator is flashing. Proceed to Test Step 2.

NOT OK - The parking brake indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing".

STOP

NOT OK - The armrest indicator is flashing.
Repair: See Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator Is Flashing".

STOP

Test Step 2. CHECK THE RETURN SOLENOID WIRE FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

Raise the cab. See Operation and Maintenance Manual, "Cab Tilting".

Locate the Interlock ECM. The interlock ECM is located on the back side of the cab. The cab must be in the RAISED position in order to get to the ECM.

Remove the wire harness from the ECM.

Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 68 (wire 201-BK and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 6.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 3.
Test Step 3. CHECK THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Disconnect the wire harness from the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

Measure the resistance from contact 3 to contact 68 (wire 201-BK and wire 975-WH) of the wire harness for the ECM.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistance is greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The hydrostatic pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil for the hydrostatic pilot solenoid.

STOP

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 4.
Test Step 4. CHECK THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the work tool pilot solenoid.

Disconnect the wire harness from the work tool pilot solenoid.

Expected Result:

Results:

Repair: The work tool pilot solenoid has failed. Replace the coil for the work tool pilot solenoid.

STOP

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 5.
Test Step 5. CHECK THE WORK TOOL DETENT COIL FOR A SHORT TO GROUND

Locate the work tool detent coil. The detent coil is located beneath the right-hand joystick. Remove the access panel in order to get to the connector.

Disconnect the wire harness from the work tool detent coil.

Expected Result:

Results:

Repair: The work tool detent coil has failed. Replace the coil for the work tool detent coil.

STOP

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The wire harness has failed. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

STOP

Test Step 6. CHECK THE CIRCUIT FOR THE HYDROSTATIC PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO THE + BATTERY TERMINAL

Ensure that the wire harness is disconnected from the hydrostatic pilot solenoid, the work tool pilot solenoid and the work tool detent coils.

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 29 (wire H416-GN) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 24, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

The resistances should be greater than 5000 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 7.

NOT OK - The resistance is not greater than 5000 Ohms on at least one of the readings.

STOP

Test Step 7. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO + BATTERY

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 24 (wire P988-OR) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms. Proceed to Test Step 8.

STOP

Test Step 8. CHECK THE CIRCUIT OF THE WORK TOOL PILOT SOLENOID FOR A SHORT TO + BATTERY

Measure the resistance at the wire harness connector from contact 68 (wire 975-WH) to the following contacts: contact 1, contact 11, contact 13, contact 42, contact 47, contact 58, contact 60, contact 62 and contact 70.
Expected Result:

Results:

OK - The resistances are greater than 5000 Ohms.
Repair: The ECM is unlikely to have failed. Reconnect all connections and visually inspect the wire harness. Verify that the diagnostic code still exists. If the diagnostic code still exists perform the Test Steps again.Replace the ECM, if the cause of the diagnostic code was not found after the second attempt. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

STOP

STOP

Test Step 9. CHECK FOR A FLASHING PARKING BRAKE INDICATOR AND/OR A FLASHING ARMREST INDICATOR AFTER THE SYSTEM IS ENABLED

Note: The seat will still need to be occupied and the armrest will need to be down. The key start switch will also need to be in the ON position.

Press and release the parking brake switch.
Expected Result:

The armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator should be off.

Results:

OK - The armrest indicator and the parking brake indicator are off.
Repair: There is no problem at this time.

STOP

NOT OK - Both indicators are flashing. Proceed to Test Step 10.

STOP

STOP

Test Step 10. CHECK THE RETURN SOLENOID WIRE FOR AN OPEN CIRCUIT

Remove the wire harness from the ECM.

Measure the resistance from contact 29 to contact 68 (wire H416-GN to wire 975-WH) of the wire harness connector.
Expected Result:

The resistance should be approximately 11 Ohms.

Results:

OK - The resistance is approximately 11 Ohms.
Repair: There is more than one problem. Start by troubleshooting one of the fault indicators. See Troubleshooting, "Parking Brake Indicator Is Flashing" or Troubleshooting, "Armrest Indicator Is Flashing".
NOT OK - The resistance is considerably greater than 11 Ohms.
Repair: There is an open in the return solenoid wire. Check all connections. Repair the wire harness and/or the connector or replace the wire harness and/or the connector.

STOP

Note: The ecm behind the cab is for the interlock system. The ecm below the floor plate is for the auxiliary hydraulic system. Mainly for special attachments.

The solenoids on this machine should all be on the left side frame. Later models had them in different places. Be certain to double check your wire numbers and colors to the guide. This can help in locating the correct part sometimes.

COLOR Legend

BL Blue

BK Black

BR Brown

GN Green

GY Gray

YL Yellow

RD Red

PU Purple

PK Pink

WH White

Other notes. 100 to 109 numbers are usually from the battery and are red.

200 to 209 are usually ground to chassis. 210 and higher can be floating grounds not to frame ground.

300 wire numbers are usually starting circuits.

Please let me know what you find and if you need more help. I will be home the rest of the night and will reply as soon as possible.

Thanks, Donnie

Hi Donnie,

Thanks for your response. It'll be a couple of days before I can do the testing. I'll let you know how it goes.

Carl.

Ok, I will be looking for your reply.

Started the test but am having trouble identifying the different solenoids. Do you have a schematic or other way of figuring out which is which?

I normally use the wire colors to get me close and then remove some of the sheathing to help verify the numbers. I know when these get old, the colors and numbers fade but, usually under the sheathing it will remain clear.

I did find some images to help you identify the solenoids. (If I can get them to post.)

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Found the problem. The wires to the work tool pilot solenoid was shorted to ground due to being pinched under one of the joystick mounting washers. Thanks for your help.