Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Bobcat 773. Have BICS box on right side of drivers seat on…

Bobcat 773. Have BICS box...
Bobcat 773. Have BICS box on right side of driver's seat on back there. It was working fine until recently, when my bucket/arms ceased to lift. THey try to, but won't. I can go forward and backward. The lights are: Bar - on, Traction - on, Seat - off, Valve - off. Can you help?
2/2/2014
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 8 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager

Fieldtech59 :

According to your description, you're having a problem with either the seat safety switch or the switch circuit. If the seat switch is not flashing (a trouble code), most likely not a problem with the circuit wiring, but a problem with the seat switch itself. If the seat switch light on BICS controller is not lit, you can drive the machine, but you won't be able to use loader functions. Make sure there is nothing under the seat that prevents seat from pivoting down at the rear and activating seat switch. Anything under or behind the seat will inhibit this movement and prevent activating the switch. Raise the cab and inspect the switch and its mounting. It's located on the underside of the cab plate that the seat mounts on near the right rear seat mounting bolt.

Customer:

So do the lights on the bics controller light up in sequence then? I.e., how do I know it is not the actual switch circuit? Are you saying that the seat light would come on before the solenoid light (circuit)?

Fieldtech59 :

No particular sequence. You enter the machine and sit in the seat, turn on ignition and start engine, at that point the system power LED on the BICS controller and the Seat LED should be lit. Drop the seat bar and the Valve LED should light up. Depress the parking brake button and the Traction LED should light up. Raise the seat bar and the Traction and Valve LED should go off. That's the thing, the fact that you can drive, but not have loader functions, and that the Seat LED is not lit indicates a problem with the seat switch. Typically, if there's a fault in the wiring between the BICS controller and the seat switch, broken wire or short to ground, the BICS controller will sense this fault and give a flash code with the Seat LED. Since you don't have a flash code, that indicates a problem with either the operation of the seat switch or a failed seat switch. That's the way these typically work.

Customer:

Excellent Thanks!

Customer:

Excellent! Thanks!

Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
You're welcome, and I do hope you get your problem sorted out. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask. Cheers