Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

140 m graders any problems with machine keeping running

140 m graders...
140 m graders any problems with machine keeping running hrs on data example/ on such and such day machine recorded hrs were from 7am to 5pm how is this recorded and made available to owner?
1/28/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I am assuming this machine is equipped with Product Link and this is a normal function.

These recordings are sent four times a day or whenever a high level event or fault code is logged.

Some of these settings are programmable. Options exist for greater details or even a live feed on local networks. It all depends on how much data you want and how much you are willing to pay CAT to get.

If you post the full machine serial number, I might find the configuration that was installed on this machine.

Any way data can be wrong or tamper with perhaps deleted on certain days?

Not really tampered with. It must send the signal out to which very service is setup. Cellular or Satellite. Internal clocks can be programmed wrong and set for wrong time zones. I machine has been recently moved into a new time zone, these setting should be reset for local time for best accuracy.

Can operator delete working hrs or is possible machine does not record worked hrs or how can worked not show up at cat dealers computer?

Operator cannot delete anything. If satellite connection is lost, it will not send a message. If the antenna is blocked, then the signal will be blocked. The antenna needs a clear view of the sky to work correctly.It should be mounted on the roof and not have any other devices within 18 inches, three feet is preferred.

If you have access to VisionLink, you can also view the machine usage.

Old truckers use to cover their receiver to prevent it locating them so, they could hide out somewhere.

It is more likely he is under something or the angle to the satellites is blocked.

Do you have the full serial number for this machine?

No don't have serial number with me at present time where is it located on machine so I can get it? How do I access visionlink?

You must be setup at the dealer, if you company already has an account you can be added and the dealer may even come out and perform site training to help you use the tool.

The serial number is XXXXX on the left side of the main frame above the circle.

If you have CAT ET you can view the status of the connections and determine if the system has lost power or communications.

I am guessing you have it sometimes but, not when this operator is using the machine?

Have you found evidence of the cables being unplugged? Some systems have a connection outside the cab that could be undone. This is usually 18 inches from the antenna.

Which antenna do you have? The shark fin or the rubber ducky stick?

I think rubber one it's about a foot from 2 way antenna have 2 operators that don't like each other one has hole days missing on machine hrs data from cat dealer?

CAT is pushing to have these systems up and running. I think the dealer would be glad to help you get it checked out.

You will need ET to check and change any configurations and if they are their at you site, I am sure they will show you details of using Vision Link or Equipment Manager.

Many new machines have this feature setup in the sale of the machine for at least one year. I understand if you do SOS reports CAT will only charge you $25 for another year use.

It is a great tool I see more companies using all the time. The tracking and usage reports are great along with fuel use as well.

Do you have CAT ET service program?

Does your company have Vision Link or Equipment Manager program access from the dealer?

Do you know where the Product Link radio box is located? (Some of these are mounted in or on the roof of the cab. The antenna you have means you have a separate radio and this has some status lights on it. A good comm' connection will have all three lights on steady. It should take less than 15 minutes for it to lock on a good signal)

If you want to check these lights, this will tell you if your radio is working.

Do any of the reports come back correct? Or just when this operator is using the machine?

Yes some or most come back correct

Do you have CAT ET service program?

Do you know where the Product Link radio box is located?

Box in roof yes get machine hrs and time worked from dealer

Do you have CAT ET service program?

Sorry Donnie can't remember which program we have with dealer it's just some hrs or days and time of day seem to be missing from dealer data so I was wondering what sinarios where possible foreman was asking me didn't know how to answer himSo machine sends signal to ssttelite ssttelite to dealer does machine record hrs and then send them when requested?
Yes, machine to satellite, satellite to ground station, station to CAT, CAT to dealer or your office or to whoever is assigned to monitor the system.

The last one to blame is the operator. Have the machine fixed first.

Then have the work area checked for possible blockage of the signal. Mountain, buildings or power lines.The machine software has seen several updates, call your dealer to have the latest version installed. Some updates did fix location problemsOnce the machine is up to date and the working area in know to be clear, hen try switching the machine or operator to see if the problem is still present.

If you need more help on this, please let me know. I will be glad to do all I can to help.

Thanks for using Justanswer!

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician