Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 2003 D5N XL it pops on the left side when turning…

I have a 2003 D5N...
I have a 2003 D5N XL it pops on the left side when turning to the right and when pushing strait under a load it pops only on the left side. I took it apart, shaft are good planetary's are good. Sprockets and tracks are also good. Any thoughts?
1/22/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Did you just install these tracks?

What type of tracks are on this machine? (System One?)

Have you removed the fill plugs for each final drive to inspect for metal on the magnets or if the oil level is correct?

Does the oil look to be the right weight?

Have you compared the temperatures of each final drive? Does one side get hotter than the other side?

Please post as much detail of what you have checked so far and the full machine serial number. I will be glad to help as much as I can.

ser# XXXXX
To answer the first question the tracks have been on the machine before the poping started they are about 80% sprockets as well.

Not sure what you mean by what type.

There was just a minute on the magnet no metal parse

I did check to see if one side was hotter then the other it was not when operating. The oil is the right weight

I have disassembled and all seems to be in good shape other than normal wear.

haven't found any metal or shavings

The popping is not constant ever so often and only under load turning or pushing.

Have check the shafts, splines, ring gear and pinion. I inspected the steering clutches but did not take them apart.

A real head stomper.

Forgot to tell you I also pulled the suction tube in the trans. compartment there was nothing in the screen or on the magnet

I have not seen this on the small M or N tractors but, the larger R and T series have had problems were the recoil spring tension was weak.

This allowed the track to jump on a the sprocket and when under a heavy load, it would be very loud.

This was also more pronounced on tractors with the System One track.

http://parts.cat.com/parts/undercarriage/systemone

I see your machine came with heavy duty conventional tracks so, no need to worry about the System one tracks.

I have had the popping noise from one N machine that had just installed new

tracks. The customer's grease gun had gone empty and force a lot of air in side the adjuster cylinder. This allowed the track to get slack under load the bushing would jump the tooth on the sprocket.

To prevent air being trapped in the adjuster cylinder, open the release valve slightly and force grease in to the cylinder until all air and some grease is exiting the release side.

Also inspect the locks for the spring and any loose or damaged parts in the recoil assemble.

I have even had one that was noisy (not popping) due to worn recoil guides. This machine had a rough life in rock and the bearing and guides were all worn out.

I feel the problem is more likely in the tracks or recoil assembly. Since you did not find any metal or broken parts in the final drive, you have ruled that out. If it was in the steering group, you would not likely have noise when traveling straight.

I assume you have already checked the transmission strainers and filters and did not find anything there either

I researched for service letters related to noise and did not find anything.

If I can help more with this please let me know.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician