Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I ran a cat 953c on a 4 degree day for 5 min after a30 min…

I ran a cat 953c...
I ran a cat 953c on a 4 degree day for 5 min after a30 min warmup the trans light came on and now it comes on after 5 min and machine loses travel speed
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/19/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. When you changed the filters were there any signs of metal/debris that would indicate a pump, converter, or other internal problem?
If you still have the old filters cut them open and inspect a sample for metal. Are any other functions affected other than travel?
Dan, Technician

no metalin filters seems more like a sensor issue

Thanks for the update Ed. Check the harness and are you getting any faults or other warning indicators? What is your machine serial number?
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

I don't get to work on these machines much around my area but, if you feel the sensor is the issue I will be glad to help.

Can you post the full serial number so, I can research the correct parts and schematic?

Are your certain the light you see if for the hydraulic oil temperature?

Do you have the gauge pack and a working oil temperature gauge?

the 2 lights flashing are for trans pressure and hydro trans #3 AND#9 IN OPERATOR MANUAL 953C IS 2003 MACHINE .I DO NOT HAVE SERIAL NO.'. AT HOME THE TRANS RUNS STRONG UNTIL LIGHTS FLASH BUKET CONTINUS TO MANTAIN POWER

Ok, thanks for the info. Unfortunately, 03 was the year the changed serial numbers. Your machine could be either 2ZN or BBX followed by five digits.

I am looking at a 2ZN book and it is indicating you have Low Charge pressure in the pumps. Below is the testing required to find the problem.

E283 Low Hydraulic Charge Pressure

This event code is recorded when the ECM has determined that the solenoid has not responded in the proper manner.

The possible causes of this event code are listed below:

• The solenoid has failed in the low pressure position.

• The charge relief valve setting is incorrect.

• The pressure drop across the override solenoid is too large.

• The machine harness has failed.

• The ECM has failed. This is unlikely.

System Response:

When this event occurs, an alarm will sound and the machine speed will be reduced by 50%. The event will cause the transmission to shift to NEUTRAL. Limited operation at a reduced speed may be performed ONLY after you return the speed/direction control lever to the PARK position.

Note: Ensure that the E283 is on hold. The normal resistance of the coil at room temperature is 7.75 ohms. The following test procedure may create other diagnostic codes. Ignore these diagnostic codes and clear these diagnostic codes when the original diagnostic code is corrected.

Note: For additional troubleshooting of the hydraulic system, refer to Symptom 4 in Testing and Adjusting, RENR5226, "Troubleshooting".

Test Step 1. CHECK FOR DIAGNOSTIC CODES THAT ARE RELATED TO THE OVERRIDE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the key start switch to the ON position.

1. Check for diagnostic codes that are related to the solenoid.

The related diagnostic codes are listed below:

• CID 0133 FMI 03

• CID 0133 FMI 05

• CID 0133 FMI 06

• CID 0133 FMI 12

Expected Result:

There are no other diagnostic codes that are related to the solenoid E283.

Results:

• OK - There are no other diagnostic codes that are related to the solenoid E283. Proceed to Test Step 2.

• NOT OK - There are diagnostic codes that are related to E283.

Repair: Exit this procedure and perform the procedure for other related diagnostic codes.

STOP

Test Step 2. CHECK THE CHARGE PRESSURE

1. Turn the key start switch to the OFF position.

1. Use a 3500 kPa (500 psi) gauge to verify that the charge pressure is set to 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

1. On the manifold, connect the 3500 kPa (500 psi) gauge to the "CHG" port.

1. Turn ON the engine.

1. Run the engine at high idle.

1. Measure the charge pressure.

Expected Result:

The charge pressure is 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

Results:

• OK - The charge pressure is 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi). Proceed to Test Step 3.

• NOT OK - The charge pressure is not 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

Repair: Adjust the charge relief valve in order to set the charge pressure to 2850 ± 100 kPa (413 ± 14 psi).

STOP

Test Step 3. CHECK THE PRESSURE SENSORS.

1. Turn the key start switch to the "OFF" position.

1. Disconnect the pressure gauge that was used in the previous Test Step.

1. Check for diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors.

The diagnostic codes that are associated with the pressure sensors are listed below:

• CID 0136 FMI 03

• CID 0136 FMI 04

• CID 0137 FMI 03

• CID 0137 FMI 04

• CID 0132 FMI 08

Expected Result:

There are no diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors.

Results:

• OK - There are no diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors. Proceed to Test Step 4.

• NOT OK - There are diagnostic codes that are related to the pressure sensors.

Repair: Exit this procedure and perform the diagnostic procedure for the sensor with the active diagnostic code.

STOP

Test Step 4. CHECK FOR HYDRAULIC CONTAMINATION AT THE SOLENOID.

1. Turn the key start switch and the disconnect switch to the OFF position.

1. Remove the solenoid (override) from the hydraulic circuit.

1. Check the valve ports for contamination.

Expected Result:

There is no contamination.

Results:

• OK - There is no contamination. Proceed to Test Step 5.

• NOT OK - There is contamination. The contamination caused the solenoid to fail.

Repair: Replace the solenoid and service the hydraulic system.

STOP

Test Step 5. CHECK IF THE EVENT CODE REMAINS

1. Connect the solenoid back to the machine.

1. Turn the disconnect switch to the ON position.

1. Start the machine.

1. Operate the machine.

1. Check if the E283 for the solenoid is active.

Expected Result:

The E283 for the solenoid is NOT active.

Results:

• OK - The E283 for the solenoid is NOT active. The diagnostic code does not exist at this time. Resume normal operation.STOP

• NOT OK - The E283 for the solenoid is active. The ECM has failed.

Repair: It is unlikely that the ECM has failed. Exit this procedure and perform this procedure again. If the failure is not found, then replace the ECM. See Testing and Adjusting, "Electronic Control Module (ECM) - Replace".

STOP

Your machine should have the service switches installed and this will allow you to retrieve the fault codes.

There are three service switches that are used for calibration and diagnostic purposes. The switches allow service personnel to communicate with the hydrostatic transmission ECM. The switches are located under a secured panel beneath the operator's right armrest. These switches are intended to be used by service personnel only. The switches connect to the Caterpillar Monitoring System which communicates with the hydrostatic transmission ECM. On this machine, a service tool is not required in order to perform calibration or diagnostic procedures. A brief description of each switch follows. For a more detailed description of operation, see Service Manual, RENR2014, "Caterpillar Monitoring System".

Service Switch

The service switch is a single pole single throw momentary toggle switch. The service switch controls the status of the service circuit to the monitor. When the switch is pressed and held in the SCROLL position, the contacts close and the circuit is closed to ground. When the switch is in the OFF position, the circuit is open.

Clear Switch

The clear switch is a single pole single throw momentary toggle switch. The switch controls the status of the clear circuit to the monitor. When the switch is pressed and held in the CLEAR position, the contacts close and the circuit is closed to ground. When the switch is in the OFF position, the circuit is open.

Calibrate Switch

The calibrate switch is a momentary toggle switch. The switch is a single pole double throw. The calibrate switch controls the status of the service circuit. When the switch is pressed and the switch is held in the "INCR" position, the circuit for service is closed to ground. When the switch is pressed and the switch is held in the "DECR" position, the circuit for the operator mode is closed to ground. When the switch is in the HOLD position, both service and operator mode circuits are open.

Check all the active codes and post them here, to many possible problems to guess which sensor could be a problem. We really need to know which one to start with and work form there out.

Let me know what code you have and I will be glad to help.

your info sounds right on I don't have the equipment to perform the checks 'it was taken to the cat dealer today it is a zz 953

Ok, if we can help you in some other way, please let us know.

Tooling and training is needed on a lot of these repairs. The C models are not as difficult as the early HPCU pumps but, it is still nothing I like to jump into without having a full set of testing equipment.

At least you are willing to try but, without the tooling this will be a tough job for anyone.

Best Regards, Donnie.