Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a D4H dozer (1988) that recently failed to start. It…

I have a D4H dozer...
I have a D4H dozer (1988) that recently failed to start. It was discovered that the starter wouldn't turn and when it was removed, transmission oil?? ran out. I understand some of the larger machines have a scavenge pump to keep this in check. Does this one have a pump? What is the fix? Want to fix the problem before replacing the starter.
1/18/2014
Mechanic: Gina-Moderator, Moderator replied 8 years ago
Gina-Moderator
Gina-Moderator, Moderator

I'm Gina and I'm a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the Experts to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the Experts?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Gina~Moderator

Haven't found an answer. I don't mind waiting...would like to know by Wed 1/22/14.

Hello

Thank you we will continue to look for an Expert to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,
Gina~Moderator
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I am sorry I missed your question earlier. Most all D4H tractors have "wet" flywheel housings. Most of these are powershift transmission machines with a torque convertor drive. I am not certain all direct drive tractors have wet housings since these machines use a flywheel clutch instead of the torque convertor. This is a rare option and was mainly used for agriculture purposes.

If your tractor has the powershift transmission, then you have a "wet" housing and must use a sealed starter. If you have the starter rebuilt or replaced by an outside vendor instead of using a CAT reman starter, you must ask for a "sealed" starter. I recommend always use the CAT reman, I have always had trouble from outside vendors and will be replacing the starter again within a years time on machines that work everyday.

The oil in the flywheel housing is normal. Only a small amount should come out the starter hole. If you are having issues with sluggish response or transmission oil heating, you should check the scavenge pump.

A quick test is to operate the machine to warm the oil. Place the tractor up on blocks(about 8 inches is fine) and lower the rear pan. With the engine off, drain the oil out of the bottom of the convertor housing. You should only get about one gallon of oil. If you get three or more gallons, the scavenge pump is not working correctly.

Many issues can cause this and the pump is only one of them. These pumps are expensive so, I would want to rule out other problems first. Such as damaged hoses or plugged screens.

If you need more help on this problem, please post the serial number and a detailed reply of what problems you are having with this machine. I will be glad to help. Thanks, Donnie

Donnie,

The serial number of the machine is 8PB02889 and it does have a Powershift transmission. The new starter I bought for the machine is a Cat Reman with a gasket. I will put this on early next week and check the amount of fluid in the torque converter housing. I'm glad to hear that it is supposed to be wet in there, I was concerned that the fluid had caused the original starter to fail. At $700.00 for the starter, I didn't want to chance ruining it, but sounds like it is supposed to operate wet. You mentioned other problems...sometime back I did have overheating problems, but changed the filter and cleaned the radiator/oil cooler and seemed to correct the problem. The only other thing I've noticed is that one track does not seem to have the power of the other side...it just wont drive under heavy load. This machine is used on a farm and does not see a lot of usage, maybe 50 to 100 hours per year.

Tom

Thanks for the reply, sounds like you are maintaining your machine properly. These were always good machine but, often were abused since they are so small.

As far as the steering problem, check your levers and all the linkage to the steering valve. If anything is not returning fully, this could cause low pressure on the steering clutch.

The high drive arrangement is different from the standard tractor were as this machine used springs to lock the brakes and oil pressure must be present to release the brake.

When you apply the pedal or pull the levers back past the half way point, this action dumps oil pressure to apply the brake.

The steering clutch is now applied (locked) with oil pressure. When you pull the steering lever back, you are reduce pressure to the steering clutch and this will slip th steering clutch. If the levers or linkage is binding, this will result in low pressure to the steering clutch and create slipping. If the linkage is ok, you should have the steering and brake valve pressures tested to see if the problem is with pressure from the valve or if your steering clutch disc are worn out. If it is the side you use all the time, it could be the clutch is worn out.

I hope this is helpful. If you need more again, please ask for me anytime. I am online most nights and some weekends.

Donnie.

One last thing...on your first reply you referred to the scavenge pump. So my machine does have a scavenge pump?

I am very satisfied with your responses. So in the future, if I have a question

on Cat equipment and you are on line, will you be the one to answer or is there a way to ask for you? This is my first time with JustAnswer.

Thanks,

Tom

Sorry, I jumped the gun on that. I was thinking of the larger models. The D4H does not have a scavenge pump. The D5H does, it has three sections in the transmission pump and one is for scavenge. The D4H only has two sections, transmission control and steering brake controls. It has a transfer line to send the extra oil back to the transmission.

You will see more oil in this tractor housing as compared to other models. It does not have the test as I mention earlier.

The site will show I am available even if I am not online. I usually work after 7 pm to about 12 and when I have free time on the weekends. Just post the question for me with my name or user name at the beginning. Sometimes the question form may ask for you to pick a technician. I don't have all the correct requirements and my name does not always appear there.

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician