Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a cat c-7 avert in a 04ford f650. During a recent cold…

I have a cat c-7...
I have a cat c-7 avert in a 04ford f650. During a recent cold snap the truck quit running. After filling the filter with power service 911 the truck restarted, only to shut down again. I have used a salamander to heat the fuel system. I have used air pressure to blow the line out back to the tank. All is clear. If I fill the top fuel filter with fuel and prime the pump primer the engine will start until the filter runs out or fuel. I have done this at idle as well as hi idle. If I fill the lower seperator ,it will take it down about a third of the way before it quits(top filter primed full of fuel). One thing I have noticed is after the engine runs the top filter out of fuel and quits, when I loosen the top filter to reprimanded, there is vacumn released as I loosen the filter. I seems as though there is little or no fuel going between the seperator ,the back of the injection pump and the top filter. Any ideas?
1/10/2014
Mechanic: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert

Hi Bob. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

There are three things I have seen cause this.

The first is a failed fuel transfer pump. It is located on the back of the High pressure pump.

Second is the fuel inlet line or the pick up tube in the tank has a hole and is sucking air. I would connect a fuel line directly to the pump and run it onto a bucket of fuel. If the engine stays running, the system is sucking air somewhere.

Third is clogged fuel filters. If you haven't already, I would change them first.

The engine should have between 65-85 psi fuel pressure while running. 65 at idle and 85 at high idle.

Please reply back if you need more help or have more questions. I am happy to assist.

Both filters have been changed. Is the fuel transfer pump removable from the high pressure pump? I take it the fuel transfer pump is the part with the line from the separator going in and the line going out goes to the top filter housing with the primer pump? Thanks

You are very welcome Bob. I am happy to assist.

Yes Bob, that is the pump. It is bolted to the back of the high pressure pump.

Unfortunately you can not just remove the fuel pump from the high pressure pump. There is a special procedure to replace the pump and well as a special tool. If the fuel pump is removed form the back of the high pressure pump. Parts of the high pressure pump will fall out and the high pressure pump will need to be replaced.

Hey Bob.

Here is the procedure to replace the pump.

Click here >> https://www.dropbox.com/s/sdlgbt3ze3khy42/C7pump.pdf

Let me know if you need more help.

I will try the bucket and fuel line check first hopefully tomorrow or over the week end and let you know. Thanks again.

You are very welcome Bob. I am happy I could help.

Dear Cat Man, your suggestion about the bucket trick worked. My pump is apparently fine, she ran till the bucket was out of fuel. Starting to pull fuel lines now. I'll let you know what I find.

That's great Bob. I am happy I could help. Great job troubleshooting.

Hey Bob,

I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist.

Dear Cat Man, I have found my problem. Ford in there infinite wisdom uses brass fittings with nylon fuel lines and an o ring.The nylon line and o ring actually wear out the inside of the brass fittings, so that the vacumn is lost at the seperator fittings. I had an issue with the inlet fitting before, but there was a fuel leak at the time. This time no fuel leak , just a large vacumn leak so the pump wouldn't prime the fuel system. Ford sells a steel replacement fitting under part#9c4z-6a968-a. I used one of these on my tank to seperator inlet when I had the fuel leak problem before. While I had everything apart I rechecked that fitting, and while not worn as bad as the brass adapter, it to was showing signs of wear. I installed a new steel adapter on the seperator inlet and had my local hydraulic line shop build me a new seperator to lift pump line out of half inch hose and brass a/n fittings. Installed every thing, filled my filters, primed her with the hand pump and bam, she runs like a raped ape. I thank you for your insight, and yes I am a wrench by trade, but sometimes we all overlook things out of frustration. Thank you again!!!

That's great news Bob. I am happy you got it fixed. Good job Bob!

Please let me know if you ever need any more Cat engine help. I am always here to help.

Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert