Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a 287b skidd steer and when at full throttle its revs…

I have a 287b skidd...
I have a 287b skidd steer and when at full throttle it's revs up and down what should I be looking for I change fuel filter
1/5/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

Have you check the fuel for contamination?

catmastertech :

Is any water in the fuel?

catmastertech :

Did gasoline get in the fuel?

catmastertech :

Does the engine have any power?

Customer: Change fuel filter,no gas got into fuel,did have summer fuel though for I bought this machine from the USA and I live in Alberta it has power
catmastertech :

Can you tell if the engine has a misfire or run rough?

catmastertech :

What is the serial number of this machine?

Customer: Seems to run smooth enough
Customer: Sin Cat 0287BAZSA03703
Customer: Is there a governor
catmastertech :

Yes it has a governor but, it is built in the front cover on some engines.

catmastertech :

Other models has it in the fuel injection pump.

catmastertech :

I would test the lift pump first. It has been updated for some problems or you have trash in the lines. It could be wax build up too, if it has #2 diesel in it.

catmastertech :

Here are some details for testing the lift pump.

catmastertech :

1. Collect the following data in order to determine if the problem is related to the fuel lift pump. Collect the following information twice. Collect the data when the engine is at low idle. Collect the data when the engine is at high idle.

1. Obtain the voltage on the pump. The voltage should be 11.5 volts to 14.5 volts. If the voltage is out of the range, the problem may exist within the electrical circuit.

2. Obtain the current. The current should be between 2 and 3.5 Amp. If the voltage is out of the range, the problem may exist within the electrical circuit.

3. Obtain the vacuum for the inlet on the pump. The pressure should be −10 to 0 kPa (−1.5 to 0 psi). If the vacuum for the inlet is too high, check the fuel lines for damage, restrictions or debris.

4. Obtain the outlet pressure on the pump. The pressure should be 20 to 70 kPa (3 to 10 psi). If the outlet pressure is low, replace the filter.

5. Ensure that there is fuel flow at the pump.

1. If the pump fails any of the tests that are listed above, replace the pump and the filter unit. If the engine symptoms are resolved by the replacement of the pump and the filter unit, return the pump to your Caterpillar dealer. Also, return the results of the test to your Caterpillar dealer.

• Obtain the voltage on the pump. The voltage should be 11.5 volts to 14.5 volts. If the voltage is out of the range, the problem may exist within the electrical circuit.

• Obtain the current. The current should be between 2 and 3.5 Amp. If the voltage is out of the range, the problem may exist within the electrical circuit.

• Obtain the vacuum for the inlet on the pump. The pressure should be −10 to 0 kPa (−1.5 to 0 psi). If the vacuum for the inlet is too high, check the fuel lines for damage, restrictions or debris.

• Obtain the outlet pressure on the pump. The pressure should be 20 to 70 kPa (3 to 10 psi). If the outlet pressure is low, replace the filter.

• Ensure that there is fuel flow at the pump.

• If the pump fails any of the tests that are listed above, replace the pump and the filter unit. If the engine symptoms are resolved by the replacement of the pump and the filter unit, return the pump to your Caterpillar dealer. Also, return the results of the test to your Caterpillar dealer.

Customer: On the primer pump is there a tube I that would go into the filter or does it just sit on top
catmastertech :

Does this engine have the electric lift pump mounted on the filter housing?

Customer: Yes
catmastertech :

Where is the priming pump you are describing?

Customer: I'll try these thing
catmastertech :

Ok, You also need to see if fuel flow to the filter is free. Be sure to mark your lines, it is important to the flow for the inlet and outlet to not be crossed.

catmastertech :

The third line on the side is for a vent to help remove air.

catmastertech :

After the above tests are performed, try running flow into a bucket to see if it is clean and steady. I think you will get about 2 liters a minute. I cannot find the exact spec but, I think it will be close.

catmastertech :

Also check the return fitting on the injection pump. This is a line connected at the front of the pump next to the front drive gear.

catmastertech :

Verify the fitting is clean and open. Save any trash you may find. It could be helpful later to determine if the pump is failing.

catmastertech :

If you need more help on this, please feel free to ask more question. I will be glad to help.

catmastertech :

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
I have a 2006 Volvo MC90 skidd steer loader and the hydraulic oil temp light keeps coming on and it's minus 30 here the tank is in operating range for oil what should I be looking for

I would look to see if the temperature gauge is correct first. If the gauge and actual temperature match, check the wire to the light switch for a short or open circuit.

Most indicator lights will work by open and short of the ground wire. If the wire see a ground at the switch, it may turn the light on. (or off depending on how it is setup)

So if the wire is bare and touches the frame, the same could happen. Also, depending on how it is wired, a broken wire could do the same problem.

If the light is on a sensor, it could also indicate the oil is too cold. A few new CAT machines do this but, not the skid steers.

I only work on CAT machines so, this is more of a generic help answer.

If you still do not find the problem. Post a new question on this site. I do know one guy that does Volvo machines answer questions, I am not certain of his name at this time though.