Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

TL126 tracks to the right after it is run for about 25 min.

Gets to the point where...
TL126 tracks to the right after it is run for about 25 min. Gets to the point where it won't hardly go the hotter it gets. Paid local dealer $285 to misdiagnose a bad right hst drive motor. 30 yr tech myself. Pulled right hst motor and went through. NPF with this unit. Glad I did not spend 6k. Bought 3 gages to run pressure test only to find that the hst pumps are not factory. replaced with eaton pump assembly. Looking for the correct manual to diag this pump configuration. Do you know where I can find info or do you know how to diagnose this condition?
1/5/2014
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help with what I can on this. Just for verification purposes, remove the drive motor case drain line, cap it and run a hose into a bucket from the drive motor case drain. Push against a loading dock to prevent movement. You should see low volume of oil from the case drain on both sides. Compare the results from left and right drives. If one has high volume, that drive is bad and has excessive internal leakage. If they are both equal then you are ok there. This is one true and quick test to confirm a good or faulty drive motor and applies to all equpment. Also is there any metal in your filters? Let me know and Ill do what I can to help.

Dan, I appreciate the drive motor test info, but that is not what I asked for. Like I mentioned, I went through the right drive motor and it is in great shape. I suspect I have a bad HST pump or control issue. As you probably know, the TL126 uses four pumps to operate. Two gear pumps for pilot valve pressure and bucket operation, and two HST pumps (one for each HST drive motor). I have the factory repair manual, but the HST pumps have been replaced with Eaton pumps. The design is different and none of the pressure test ports are there. I need info on diagnosing this system using gages. This was my original question. Thanks, Don

Thanks for the updated info Don. Since you do not have the test ports you will have to adapt into the pressure lines. Unfortunately I would not have the information for your Eaton pumps. You would have to get that information from an Eaton pump distributor/rebuilder and provide them with the pump information from your pump tag as the test and calibration specs will be specific for that pump. I will opt out in case another expert on the site has access to Eaton test specs. Hopefully another expert might be able to help you further with this. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Dan, thanks for trying. Do leave this open to try and get some help repairing this skid steer. I'm sure a heavy duty equipment tech has run into this. Eaton is a huge pump supplier and I'm know there are a lot of them out there. If I cannot find some answers, this site is of no use to me. Thanks again for the effort.

Anytime Don. I am an independent field tech myself and was field service for Caterpillar and work for Deere, Volvo, and Komatsu in the past but there are so many different configuration pumps and all have different calibrations. The key is the numbers on the pump tag. Anytime I run into a pump specific problem I contact my local pump rebuilder if the specs arent available in the machine service manual. Click here for the link to contact these guys. They may be able to help steer you in the right direction or give you the pressure and flow specs for your pump. You will need all the numbers from the pump tag as they are important and specific for your pump calibration. I am not sure if you will find any pump calibration specs on here unless they are the same as what is in the machine service manual. Since this is a different pump I would definately contact the company above. They could possibly steer you in the right direction here.
Dan, Technician