Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

My forks wont disengage off a cat 420E IT, there is plenty…

My forks won't disengage off...
My forks won't disengage off a cat 420E IT, there is plenty of hydraulic fluid, the electric works and the hydraulic pump is in good condition. How do I manually unlock the pins to remove front end attatchments
1/1/2014
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

catmastertech :

Can you post your serial number for this unit?

catmastertech :

Are you holding the switch down to allow the pins time to release?

catmastertech :

Do you notice the hoses moving when operating the switch?

catmastertech :

Have you tried boosting the system pressure by activating the bucket tilt to rack back position and hold pressure on the lever while operating the switch? This will add extra pressure from the pump and may assist the pins in movement.

catmastertech :

Does this coupler have shutoff valves on the back side? Some of these require the valve in a different position to all the pins to retract. It functions as a safety lock.

catmastertech :

Below is some extra detail required to release the coupler pins.

catmastertech :

A rocker switch, spring centered and momentary in either direction is used to activate this function. The lower side of the switch is pressed to engage the coupler pins, and the upper side is to disengage the pins. Additionally, there is a red slide on the switch that must be pulled down before the switch can be rocked upwards.

Hydraulic operation – The front coupler pins are driven by a double acting hydraulic cylinder. Hydraulic flow for quick coupleris directed to the cylinder from the front auxiliary hydraulic circuit, via a 2-position, 6-way solenoid operated valve.

The solenoid valve is spring loaded in the position that directs flow to the normal auxiliary circuit.

When the operator moves the coupler switch to engage or disengage the couplerpins, the following should occur:

Turn off the continuous auxiliary function, if on.

Energize the diverter valve, to direct flow to the quick couplercylinder.

Activate the auxiliary function, in one direction to engage pins or the opposite to disengage, to 30 percent command.

Note:The command value should be adjustable by engineers during PD, to be a set value in production.

When the couplerswitch is then centered:

Neutralize the auxiliary circuit.

De-energize the diverter solenoid.

DO NOT reengage continuous flow auxiliary automatically.

Require that the auxiliary slider be centered before reacting to any input on this function

Sorry, I missed you in the chat.

If you need more help with this problem, please post the serial number.

I must use it to find out which system you machine has.

The above information is usually the best way to operate the system. Some had different options based on the machine build.

Please feel free to ask more questions on this issue as you need. I will be glad to help.

Thanks, Donnie

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician