Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Morning, I have a Cat 262C skid steer loader which we bought…

Morning, I have a Cat...
Morning, I have a Cat 262C skid steer loader which we bought with hi flow hydraulics for the Cat asphalt planer attachment. We cannot seem to get the hi flow to come on during planing operations. There seems to be a hi flow icon light in the control panel but the operator has never seen it come on. We checked fuses based on the op manual for the hi flow but it appears ok.

Any other things to check?
12/27/2013
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

This all depends on how the machine is set up.

You may need a switch in the upper left console switched on and then you would press the continuous flow switch on the left joystick and push the thumb rocker forward to start the head spinning. Once it is up to speed, release both the continuous flow switch and the thumb rocker at the same time. If you do not release at the same time, it will not lock in high/continuous flow.

NOTE, some attachments need an electrical plug to be connected to the loader frame. This cannot be damaged. The circuit must be complete for the high flow harness. Other models had a jumper plug connected in the harness on the loader frame. If this jumper wire is damaged or missing, the circuit is open and the high flow will not work.

If you meed more help on this please post the machine serial number.

M#. 272C

SN: 272ccred00615

I am reading your service excellent but I had a couple of questions still. I spoke with the Operator today and he was with the machine. Wiring in place and okay. He operated the machine as you mentioned by hitting both switches letting the drum get up to speed and then releasing both switches at the same time with no noticeable change to hyphal pressure. He planed approximately 1500 feet of asphalt 2 inch deep in three hours this morning.

You know if there is anything else that we might look at to try to engage the high flow mode on this machine?

I did not find any other control switches for high flow.

Everything refers back to the harness and jumper wire. If the tool does not have a harness, the jumper must be installed for high flow to work.

This also means the circuit to the ecm must see the jumper is installed. A damaged harness could cause a problem.

The ecm controls a solenoid on the load sensing port of the main control valve. If this circuit has failed, you would not have high flow either.

I researched some history on this problem and found the pump and it's compensator valve has some issues. The latest bulletin was of a new pump for longer life.

Flow testing is the only way to know if you have this problem though.

I know a machine I recently worked on, the engine would change sound when the pump went to high flow and the pressure on the pump tap jumped up.

If your engine has the same sound while adding the load to the hydraulic system and doesn't sound or feel like it had a sudden load added, then you must not be reaching high flow.

If you need more help on this, please let me know. I will be glad to help.

Thanks, Donnie

catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician