Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

This question concerns a 2006 Bobcat T180 skid steer loader…

This question concerns a 2006...
This question concerns a 2006 Bobcat T180 skid steer loader with 500 hours.
I use it frequently but obviously not all day. The last time was just last week to move some compost.

Yesterday I wanted to move some mulch - the bobcat cranked and idled as usual; the 4 lights on the panel (interlock control system) lit up as usual ;the loader arms freely move up and down but I could not travel forward or backward.

I lifted up the cage and inspected all the wiring harnesses and looked for any obvious signs; while there I washed out the machine including the tracks.

I took off the fuse cover below the seat and pulled out all the smaller fuses which looked fine and pushed them back in place; the larger fuses I cannot tell.

Help! Ozzie
The parking brake indicator light on the instrument panel is in the off position.
12/23/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. What is the serial number and are there any fault codes logged associated wth this? Let me know and I will do what I can to help. Also test your fuses with a test light with the IGN on by testing for power on both sides of the fuse. Post your results.

Thank you for the quick reply.

Serial # XXXXX /p>

There were no fault codes that came up on the panel.

About testing the fuses, the fuses are very tight - I cannot see how I can get to the back with a probe.

Have you tested fuses this way on this machine?

Thanks - I await your reply

Ozzie

Hi Ozzie, Could you repost the serial number with spaces as the site blocked out the numbers mistaken them for a phone number unfortunately. On the top of the fuses you will see two metal prongs to probe on each side for power with the IGN switch on. Any ones that you can not get to with the test light, remove them and test them for continuity using an OHM meter. Also, when you move the travel levers does the engine lug down under a load like the brake is on or is there nothing?Are you getting any fault codes? Does this machine have the digital display to pull codes or just the warning lights? If there is no digital readout there is a flash code procedure where you count the flashes. Let me know
Dan, Technician

Good morning, Dan,

Well, since I didn't have a test light to test the fuses - I asked my wife to buy one at the local hardware store this morning.

She just returned and I went to turn on the bobcat and - and - it traveled forward and backwards!

I moved it onto a concrete pad to work on it more conveniently and turned it off.

I have turned it on again and it is still traveling forward.

I feel I owe you something for your time - what is fair?

I have 4 pieces of equipment so I will be contacting you again.

Do you have expertise on gm diesel pick-up trucks? I have an older one that I will need assistance with.

I will, of course, give you a good rating.

Let me know

Ozzie

Good Morning Ozzie, It sounds like you likely had something going on with one of the safety interlock switches not engaging. (Lap bar/seat belt, Seat switch if equipped, door switch if equipped, etc) If any of these switches are not engaging your functions will be disabled. If this happens again check these switches. I do have experience on numerous diesel engine makes and trucks. There is a category for GM on here but I have not gotten set up in that category as of yet but if you have a Cummins, Cat, Detroit , Deere, construction or AG equipment, truck, etc. that falls in any of the Heavy equipment categories I could gladly help if your question is opened and falls in those categories. Experts time is credited/paid a percentage of the offered amount of the customers offered price for their question only if there is positive feedback or an accepted answer. Otherwise the expert does not receive credit for their answer. that would be entirely up to you as far as the amount you feel comfortable with. Customer service could help you with that if you need to change the amount you posted initially. Let me know.