Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Caterpillar 257B2 skid steer and with safety arm down,

right control lever will not...
I have a Caterpillar 257B2 skid steer and with safety arm down, right control lever will not control bucket.
12/16/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician

Dan :

Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. What is the serial number of this machine? Does this have an enclosed cab? Are the bucket functions the only functions not working?

Customer:

Serial # XXXXX and yes, this is the only function not working.

Customer:

Yes it has an enclosed cab but door is not on it right now.

Dan :

Ok thanks for the info. Is the door switch there or bypassed?

Customer:

bypassed

Dan :

Are there any faults displayed or Safety interlock warnings indicators

Customer:

no

Dan :

The link I posted titled schematics has full schematics, component locators, test values, etc

Dan :

I would first check all your fuses and relays, Then thoroughly inspect the harness and switches.

Dan :

Check for power at the control solenoids when those functions are engaged.

Dan :

Check continuity with an OHM meter for your joystick control and harness in that circuit

Dan :

What about the AUX hydraulics? Are they functioning?

Dan :

Run through these checks and tests. You will need a digital multimeter to test voltage and OHMs

Dan :

Use the schematics and component locator I posted for reference and let me know the results and Ill help you any way I can

Customer:

okay - I will have to email this to the person working on the skid steer and I will get back to you ASAP. Thank you.

Dan :

Ok some of the tests require Cat ET to be plugged in so unless he has Cat ET those checks he will not be able to do but it may not be necessary if the problem is found through the other checks.

Dan :

Anytime and you are welcome. Let me know the results or if you need further help.

Dan, Technician