Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi... I have a CAT C9 engine powering a sandvik QJ341 jaw…

Hi... I have a CAT C9...
Hi...
I have a CAT C9 engine powering a sandvik QJ341 jaw crusher. Recently it won't start up in the morning or after engine has cooled down easily. Keeps going off when started until after about 10 tries. It looses power easily when put under load throwing out a lot of black smoke. When there's no load on the engine, it throws out blue smoke. This engine has only 800 hours on it. Can you advise please. Thanks
12/15/2013
Mechanic: Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert replied 8 years ago
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Hi. Thanks for asking your question! I will try and help you out.

Do you know if there are any codes? Does the yellow engine light come on?

Thanks for your quick response. There are no codes and there is no engine light on.

You are very welcome Seun and Tanks for the information.

Since the check engine light does not come on, I would suspect 1 of 2 things are causing your problem.

The first is low fuel pressure. If there is a low fuel pressure problem, the check engine light will not come on and the engine will have low power. Your engine should maintain a fuel pressure between 65 and 85 psi. There is a plug beside of the secondary fuel filter that is used to check the pressure. If it is low, I would first try the fuel filters if you haven’t already. If it is still low, you may have a failed fuel pressure regulator, which is located on the back of the cylinder head. I have replaced a ton of these for low fuel pressure. It is kinda a known problem. You could also have a weak fuel transfer pump or restricted hand primer pump, if your engine has one.

Second I would suspect you have a low boost condition. This can be caused by a leak in the air piping or air to air aftercooler on the truck. You could also have a turbo problem or restricted air filter. I would check these first. If the turbo and air filter are OK, I would inspect all of the piping to see if there is a hole in any of the rubber boots that hold the pipes. From there you may want to cap off one side of the air to air cooler, and pressurize it. They have been known to crack and leak and cause low boost.

Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.
Hello.
I checked the fuel pressure and it was between 65 and 85 psi. I noticed there was oil leakage from the breather pipe. I still get a lot of smoke, white, black and blue once in a while. What else can I check. Please. Thanks
Thanks for the information Seun.

I would next check the air piping and turbo. If there is a boost leak or turbo problem, it will cause the engine to smoke and have low power.

If the air system turns out to be OK, I would next suspect a worn injector issue.

Let me know if you need more help.
Thanks for your quick response. The turbo is dry of oil. Can worn injectors cause oil leak in the breather pipe?
You are very welcome.

Yes they can. If the injectors are worn the fuel will not get atomized correctly and can pass by the rings and cause fuel/oil to come from the breather pipe.

The only other thing that can cause this is worn cylinders. I would first suspect the injectors before the cylinders.

Let me know if you need more help.
Many thanks again , cat man....
Is there anyway I can confirm I have worn injectors?
You are very welcome. I am happy to help.

Actually the only way is to eliminate everything else. Make sure fuel pressure is good, make sure air system and turbo are OK. Make sure there are no codes. If all of these check out, all that is left are the injectors.
Can this cause the engine to loose power?
Yes it can. Most often when the injectors are the problem, the engine loses power. I see this a lot on these engines.
Would caterpillar warranty cover such problem... The machine is only 800 hours old...
Yes Seun.

If the engine has low hours and warranty coverage, it will be taken care of. This is great news. Injectors for a C9 are not cheap

Let me know if you need more help.
Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert