Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Bobcat 773 that runs and moves fine, but the hydrolic…

I have a Bobcat 773...
I have a Bobcat 773 that runs and moves fine, but the hydrolic lift or tilt will not work. We have had some cold weather. We loaded the Bobcat on a cold morning and the hydrolics work. We hauled it about 70 miles and when we went to unload it the hydrolics would not work, but will still move forward or backward.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/12/2013
Mechanic: spankyjr1, Journeyman replied 8 years ago
spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman
Hi and welcome

Sorry for delay

Could you please post serial number so I can see if I have correct manual?

Just to make sure is it warmed up and still not working after fluid change?

Any lights staying on or coming on?

What weight oil did you use or Type?
Was it correct for tempature that you will operate it in?

Thanks

Serial # XXXXX I have not warmed the machine up for very long. I changed out the hydraulic oil last summer. I used John Deere Hy-Gard oil. The temperature is not all that cold. It is about 35 today and still does not work. When I push the foot pedal for tilt, the tilt moves a little. When I push the pedal for the lift it does not seem to move. When I push either foot pedal it sounds like it is loading the hydraulics and maybe running oil through the bypass.

The green light comes on and stays on. Do not see any other lights.

Thanks for info Wendall but there was a problem with serial number being blocked by security system, it thinks it's a phone number.

Could you please enter again but leave a space in between numbers so it does not block.

I'm sorry I have no control over that.

Do you need this tonight or early am okay with you?

I was just getting ready to get off for the night and this will take some time to go through manual.

Let me know I can always opt out and send to another expert who I know will be online soon.

Thanks

Tomorrow will be great. The Serial # XXXXX six four 90 six zero. It seems to me like there may a solanoid not opening or something. Are there any solanoids in the system?

Yes there are and it would be a directional solenoid or valve because engine is loading up and dumping out high pressure relief.

So I need to go over hydraulic schematics and see if I can isolate which one it is.

I will get back to you after going through manuals 5 0 9 6 4 9 0 6 0

Talk soon spanky

Hey Wendell,

You said in one reply that foot pedal seamed like it was locked so that sounds like the lap bar is not fully disengaging pedals so lap bar may just need to be adjusted or something is blocking it from going all the way down.

Try this test and let me know
Seat Bar Inspection
Sit in the seat and fasten the seat belt. Engage the
parking brake. Pull the seat bar all the way down. Start the
engine. Loaders without seat sensors press the green
PRESS TO OPERATE Button. Operate each foot pedal
to check both the lift and tilt functions. Raise the lift arms
until the bucket is about 2 feet (600 mm) off the ground.
Raise the seat bar. Try to move each foot pedal. Pedals
must be firmly locked in neutral position. There must be
no motion of the lift arms or tilt (bucket) when the pedals
are pushed.
Pull the seat bar down. Loaders without seat sensors
press the green PRESS TO OPERATE Button. Lower the
lift arms. Operate the lift pedal. While the lift arms are
going up, raise the seat bar and the lift arms should stop.
Lower the seat bar. Loaders without seat sensors press
the green PRESS TO OPERATE Button. Lower the lift
arms and put the bucket flat on the ground. Stop the
engine. Raise the seat bar and operate the foot pedals to
be sure that the pedals are firmly locked in the neutral
position. Unbuckle the seat belt.

So what I'm saying is are the pedals locked the same way when lap bar is in either position?

let me know

I will try seat bar and let you know.

Thanks
I think with one pedal not releasing all the way it might not allow both functions to work.

Also make sure seat switch is working light should go off when you sit on seat and lift your weight off and see if it comes back on or vise versa with light.

Just don't want to get to deep pulling valves and find out we over looked this

Talk soon
spanky

It is 45 degrees here this morning and I have tried the bobcat some more. What I find is that when the bar is up both foot pedals are locked. When I pull the bar down both foot pedals are released. When I push the tilt pedal I can hear the motor load change and the tilt moves a little bit, but not much. When I push the lift pedal I can again hear the motor load change, but the lift does not seem to move any.

Okay I just wanted to make sure they were releasing the right away.

Let me check manual for testing be right back

Hey Wendell,

Do you have a lift lock out valve, it would be a pull up to lock out, like a tee handle next to seat?

Pull up and down on that while trying to use lift function.

That is the only thing I can see it being since you are not getting any other lights coming on.

With me not being able to see there are 4 different systems on this and I have to keep jumping around manual so it's kinda hard to diagnose while not being there.

It may have got moved when someone got in and out and that is what it sounds like since motor is loading when trying to use functions and still able to move.

I can't find any other valve that would lock out both functions.

Hope this helps

I will look for lift lock out valve, but do not know of one. Can you tell me more about how to find the lift lock out valve?

It says under right side I'm assuming next to seat.

The lift lock by–pass valve is located under
the right side of the control panel.

You have to be able to use it without getting out of cab but to work on it cab would have to be raised.

It also is round knob on serial numbers lower than yours but shows by your serial number to be just like a tee like on a pull cable for starting a lawn mower.

Let me know

I did find a red square button on the right side of the seat. It says to rotate 1/4 turn and pull up to let lift down. I can rotate and turn the button, but it makes not difference.

I did find something else out. There is a panel on the back wall on left side of seat that says Bobcat Interlock Control System. It has 5 lights on it: system activated, seat bar, valve lock, traction, and power. When I pull the bar down and push the green button on my upper left, all lights come on except the valve lock light. The valve lock light just flashes. Also I notice that the green button light on my upper left does not stay on when I push it. Got any ideas?

Now we are getting somewhere Wendell.

That's why I asked about any lights coming on.

That changes things you have a HST system with self diagnostics.

Now what I need you to check is does light flash a code.

It would flash a couple times then short pause,then flash so many times and pause should be a single digit code 0-9 and it will keep repeating that will tell us what the system is seeing and I can give you troubleshooting steps.

Let me know how many flashes

Hey Wendell,

With Valve light off these are possible causes.

The effect to machine is no lift or tilt.

1 Valve output circuit is open.
2 Valve output circuit shorted to battery voltage*.
3 Valve output circuit shorted to ground.
3 Valve output circuit is not grounded.

So once you can get me code count we can narrow down even further.

I think you have a loose wire on a solenoid from hauling and it vibrated loose.

Talk soon
spanky

I checked the valve lock light. It flashes 3 times and then pauses and 3 more etc.

Okay Thanks for info.

3 flashes is valve output shorted to ground.

So most likely a sensor or solenoid is shorted.

I'm going to look up the wiring and solenoid so you know which one it is.

Be back as soon as I can
Hi Wendell,

It does not give me specs in manual for the two solenoids on control valve and you need a special diagnostic tool to hook up to control box to test.

In order to get to valve body you have to remove right rear tire and drop valve body down.
There is only a small access panel about 6" long 2" wide behind tire you need to remove that to get to bolts holding manifold on.

I don't know how much room there is on this one have not worked on this modal.

The dealer would be able to check it through a service tool without taking anything apart through the control box with lights on it.

It may also be something inside control box and not the solenoid itself so you might be taking apart and not need to.

At this point I would recommend having it checked by dealer because we can't verify which part is at fault.

I wish I gad better news but there is nothing else we can check without tooling.

At least you know what is wrong and that it should not take them to much time to troubleshoot problem.I would say no more than two hours.

Hope this helps
Thanks
spanky

spankyjr1
spankyjr1, Journeyman

ok thanks You did great job.

Thank You Wendell,I just wish we had a better outcome.

Hope you and your family have a safe and happy Holiday season
take care
spanky