Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a john deere 310SE backhoe 4x4 that blows the transmission…

I have a john deere...
I have a john deere 310SE backhoe 4x4 that blows the transmission filter when I engaged the 4wd
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/10/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. Check your old filter for metal/debris that would indicate an internal problem. Also check the threads on the filter housing as if they are damaged or stripped this could be part of the problem. Another possibility is a restriction or a defective bypass valve. If you are not using a Deere filter, try using an OEM filter if the threads are ok. Check for burnt discolored oil and for metal in the transmission oil as well. Reply back with the results if you need further help and Ill be glad to help.
We already change the oil, we changed more then 3 oem john deere filters and it's not taking them off the threads, it's blowing them apart...

What bypass valve, where is it located?

Is this the filter you are referring to? If so this mounts right at the transmission charge pump. sounds like there is a restriction somewhere and the filter is overpressurizing as a result. Was there any metal/debris in the strainer or original drain oil and filter?TP57/TP57925________UN14SEP98.gif

Yes that's the filter, haven't checked the strainer, we took the charge pump off to check it and it was ok...

The transmission filter blows apart only when I engage the 4WD, if I have it in 2WD it will work great, but not in 4WD
Ok. Here is the picture of the 4wd solenoid and oil line. Pull the solenoid to see if the o rings are damaged bypassing pressure. ore there could be a leak or restriction after the solenoid pressurizing the filter.TP52/TP52784________UN22OCT96.gifTP52/TP52785________UN19AUG96.gif FWD breakdown
We already took the solenoid off, the o rings are good... The solenoid parts move freely no trash in the way....

Could there be a leak in the valve body, like a blown gasket?

Can all this be caused by putting the wrong transmission oil, we found dextron oil in the transmission

There definately could be a leak from a bad o ring or seal. I would check the valve body for any problems or sticking valves, broken springs etc. Is this your machine or a customers machine you are working on? It should be hyguard or equivalent. Dextron definitely does not meet the same spec and could have had something to do with it. Here is the online parts catalog that should be helpful. jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt?search=model&model=310se

It's a customers tractor, his workers put dextron oil, thinking it was the same thing.... We know its not...

Can I remove the valve body without taking down the transmission?

Remove the mat in the cab and there should be a floor panel right under your feet sitting in the seat. Remove the floor and there will be a cover on top to access the shift solenoids and valve body. My only concern here is this is for your F N R shift valve. There is also a range shift valve as well.T150/T150759________UN31JAN02.gif

We will talk to u tomorrow, and let u know what else we find, thank you for ur help, very helpful & now we know where else to look thank you..

Range shift valve. TP57/TP57938________UN17SEP98.gif
All the descriptions and part numbers are available on the online catalog link I posted earlier. You are welcome. I will be loggin in periodically throughout the day in between jobs tomorrow.

Dan, Technician

My name is XXXXX XXXXX the guy that was having problem with the JD 310se backhoe..

We took off the valve body, check all the spools, all the sensor, everything looks good, what else can cause that problem

Urgency: HIGH

I am thinking there might be a restriction somewhere causing pressure to backfeed into the filter housing. See o rings #6 in this picture. One is a suction port and the other is supply to the pump. Using a rubber tipped blow gun, blow some compressed air into thoe ports with the pump removed to be sure there is no restrictions. Also, since this seems to only happen when 4wd is engaged, there is likely an internal problem with the 4wd internally if the solenoid valve is definately good electrically and mechanically. Try swapping solenoids as they are the same part number to see if it resolves the problem. You could also have a proble in the intermediate plate. Swap solenoids first. Transmission Intermediate Plate and Gaskets (Power Shift)

CartkeyPART NO.PART NAMEQTYSERIAL NO.310E310SE315SEREMARKS
1T164592Gasket1XX
2T186560Housing1XX(SUB FOR T164591)
3......Gasket1XX(SUB AT192552 ) (ALSO ORDER (1 9) T159607 ) (SUB FOR T159612)
......Plate1XX(T224750 NLA) (SUB FOR AT192552 ) (SU B AT329188 ) (ALSO ORDER (19) T159607)
4......Plate1XX(SUB AT192552 ) (ALSO ORDER (1 9) T159607 ) (SUB FOR T164595)
......Plate1XX(T164595 NLA) (SUB FOR AT192552 ) (SU B AT329188 ) (ALSO ORDER (19) T159607)
5......Gasket1XX(SUB AT192552 ) (ALSO ORDER (1 9) T159607 ) (SUB FOR T164596)
......Plate1XX(T224751 NLA) (SUB FOR AT192552 ) (SU B AT329188 ) (ALSO ORDER (19) T159607)
6......Plate1XX( AT192552 NLA) (SUB FOR T159612, T16459 5 AND T164596 ) (ALSO ORDER (19) T159607)
AT329188Plate1XX(SUB T224750, T164595 AND T224 751 ) (ALSO ORDER (19) T159607)
7T159613Cap Screw4XX
8T161204Washer19XX
9T159607Cap Screw19XX
10AT177703Solenoid Valve2XX(PARK BRAKE, DIFF LOCK)
......Solenoid2XX( AT179318 NLA) (SERVICED IN AT177703)
AT179319Electrical Coil2XX
AT179320O-Ring Kit2XX
T161144Nut2XX
11T159684Plug1XX(MFWD SOLENOID HOLE)
12T161208Cap Screw43XX
13......Gasket1XX(SUB AT192553 ) (ALSO ORDER (1 9) T159607 ) (SUB FOR T164597)
T224777Gasket1XX(SUB FOR AT192553 ) (A LSO ORDER (19) T164682)
14......Plate1XX(SUB AT192553 ) (ALSO ORDER (1 9) T159607 ) (SUB FOR T164598)
T164598Plate1XX(SUB FOR AT192553 ) (A LSO ORDER (19) T164682)
15......Gasket1XX(SUB AT192553 ) (ALSO ORDER (1 9) T159607 ) (SUB FOR T164599)
T224776Gasket1XX(SUB FOR AT192553 ) (A LSO ORDER (19) T164682)
16......Plate1XX( AT192553 NLA) (SUB FOR T164597, T1645 98, T164599 ) (ALSO ORDER (19) T159607)
17T164686Cap Screw15XX
18T144494Compression Spring1XX
19T144493Ball1XX
20T164577Orifice1XX
21R26286O-Ring1XX
22R27094Drain Plug1XX
23L11698O-Ring1XX
24T161194Plug1XX
25T161204Washer4XX
26T161204Washer15XX

T143/T143501________UN29JUN01.gif

See number 10 solenoid. Hole(plug#11) is the solenoid port for 4wd. Try swapping solenoids and let me know. Also the port comment to check the ports at O rings #6 comment was referring to the filter and pump picture posted prior

Ok we will get back to you, I gotta check that first, I did check the o rings they were good no cracks or worn out, but I'll get back to u as soon as I check them, thanks for ur help..
Ok let me know. Try swapping the solenoids as they are the same as well
Yes sir sure will, ok I'll do that first...
Ok let me know.
Yes sir will do..
Ok great..no need to reply back yet as the requires me to respond to your responses before working with other customers so it will lock this question. I look forward to your results.
Hey dan we already done everything u told us to do and everything checks to be ok , everything is good...

Where else can I check for this problem?
Relist: Incomplete answer.
On this picture T150729 that u sent me number 27 it's a small lock in plate, where does it go, does it go on the 1st valve or 3rd valve I can't really see it very we'll on the picture
Hi Homer, I have been out on road calls the last two days. Lucky me as it is 20 degrees here where I am. The retainer plate 27 goes in the connecting almost S shaped port to retain spool #21. The port I am referring to connects to spool #34. If all checks out ok from the previous checks and the filter is only blowing with 4wd engaged then unfortunately it narrows things down to an internal problem with the 4wd. I recommend having the shop manual on hand to have all the specs handy before tearing into the transmission as they are usually not much money through Deere. I do not have the shop manual for this readily available unfortunately but I can give you guidance as I have been from my experience and referencing the parts break downs. What were the results after swapping the solenoids?
Hi dan, oh ok cool... Oh wow, that's cold...

Ok thanks for the info, we put the valve body back but we weren't sure where that plate went, an as stubborn as my dad is he put it on the wrong spool, we put everything back together and now in runs with the 4wd, we did find one gasket torn, we went ahead and replaced them all... Now that u told me where that plate goes my father and brother are taking it off again carefully so we can change the plate and move it to the right spot...

We put that plate on # 24 where the solenoid goes on top
They gave us a print out of the same picture u showed me and it's saying, that plate goes on # 24

And that picture shows the spool, the spring, the sleeve and the cap where that plate holds... So idk, the only thing is that, the backhoe when we put everything back together it didn't want to move...
Thanks for the update. When I expand the picture it is showing it on spool #21in the center of the valve. Try this link to access the parts manuaI online.Click Here . When you click the link for your machine, Go to "sectional index" this will split up transmission, engine, etc. See if the picture is mor legible there. I see there was a poor rating I wasnt sure if there might have been an error as it seems we were heading in the right direction norrowing this down. Let me know
Oh ur very welcome. Oh ok I see, yeah it was very hard to see in the pic where that plate went... But I think now we got it... By all the info u gave us... Oh ok thanks I'll take a look at it in a bit, yeah it was an error, computer froze so but yeah u have helped us a lot with the information u have given us... There's not a lot of ppl that would help us out or give us information...

But thank u for the awesome service...
Thanks for the update. Glad I could help. Let me know how things go when its all back together or if there is anything else I can help you with.