Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX am working on a Kobelco markIII sk 100.

The problem happened when the...
Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX am working on a Kobelco markIII sk 100. The problem happened when the barrel end for the dipper blew a line. Now when u swing left or right the dipper comes in under pressure. Also if u hold the dipper in function to relief. The machine will swing in the direction u last used for swing. I have looked at both spooles swing and dipper no broken springs on either one.
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hi Mike, My name isXXXXX will try to help. You are on the correct path and it sounds like you likely have a pilot control problem. Both of these functions should be on your LH joystick if it is not set up for Deere controls. Raise the boot under your control lever and check for a sticking plunger at your pilot control valve. If this is the case, sometimes you can buy just the plunger instead of replacing the entire valve. You can tee in to the pilot lines at the main control valve with a 1000 PSI gage to verify whether you are getting pilot pressure at both spools at once or swap the lines of those two functions with another two for test purposes to see if the problem moves. Be sure to mark your lines before doing so and you will want to swap them at the pilot control manifold behind the cab, not at the main control valve. Reply back with your results and if you need further help and ill be glad to help.

The controls have been changed to JD so dipper is on the right and the swing is on the left. The bottom of the dipper spool has three pilot oil lines to it at the main control valve. I don't know if the lines will reach another spool. So I will have to get some tees. I did not even look at the pilot control valve is it behind the cab? Or is it off the back of the main valve

The pilot control valves are under each joystick ( hand lever) control in each console. There is a pilot control manifold behind the cab that all the lines connect to. This is where any swapped lines should take place.

I will be at the machine tomorrow to try that. If the problem moves to the bucket or boom. I know the problem is in the pilot control valve. If it stays on the same function but is controlled by a different joy stick action it is in the main valve. I was trying to think about how the pilot oil could work another function.If one of the pilot control valves had a stuck piece wouldn't the function activate with out touching anything. If they r not on the same stick how would it be able to cross over? Is it more likely to be in the manifold? Sorry for jumping around this Dan I am just trying to get as much info now while I have u. Also I will have options or a game plan after the results of the line. swop.

I completely understand Mike. We can post back and forth as long as needed and you will be able to follow up with me as needed even after your checks. Origionally I mentioned a stuck plunger in the pilot control valve or a problem with that valve if set up for SAE controls since Swing and Arm are on the same LH joystick and valve. the RH pilot control valve SAE is bucket and boom. John deere controls swaps the boom functions and arm functions to the opposite side. If there is not diverter valve to automatically switch between SAE and Deere controls someone would need to switch the 4 lines (2 for each function) at the pilot manifold behind the cab on the cab side of the manifold, not the control valve side. So look to see if a diverter valve is on this machine. If so, then that could be a problem if it is leaking internally and bypassing pilot pressure or like you said in the manifold. Would there be any chance someone crossed any lines from the manifold to the main control valve?
Yes they did swap lines to get it to the e JD controls. I don't know where they moved them. I think was at the manifold I will ask. I know there is no switching valve it is to old of a machine.
Ok. It should be done on the pilot valve side of the pilot manifold and not at the main control valve. Let me know what you find out and what the results are of the checks.
If the lines r changed on the pilot control side and I swicht the lines back to the OEM on the control side. The problem stays on the dipper and swing. The main valve has the problem with pilot oil flow. What is the next place to look on the pilot side of the main valve. Do u have access to a flow cart or scimatic.
If you switch the functions back and the problem still remains in the same functions then tee in a gage on both circuits on the pilot control side to verify that you are in fact getting pilot pressure on both functions. If not then the problem is in the main control valve somewhere. You can adapt a 10,000 PSI gage to check pressures on the main control valve side for those functions and see what is really happening. You can pick up a gages at any hydraulic shop and get some adapter fittings. I do not have the service book for this model for the schematic unfortunately.
Ok talk to u tomorrow
Hi Mike, Just following up with you. Let me know.
Hi Dan plans fell through today off to get a Christmas tree sorry family stuff
No problem. Let me know when you get to it. Enjoy your day.
Hey Dan I got back to the machine to day. I made a call to a dealer tec he had access to scimatic and all he had some time under his belt with that machine and it was a sap for him to walk me through a fix. It was on the pilot oil side and it was a check ball for the swing brake and dipper in. The ball was in a tee fitting which came out when they took the pilot oil line off to get at the big
Line they blew. They took the the lone and fitting out of the tee so the ball fell out and they did not see it. I found it in bell next to the swing gear. Thank you for the help on the weekend.
Mike from NH Mobile mikes
Thank you for the update Mike. I am glad you found it. Schematics are worth their weight in gold for sure. Glad I could help with what I could without the schematic.
Dan, Technician