Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hey Kevin my name is XXXXX XXXXX am working on a cat 315CL SN PCJC01025.

Unit only swings with the...
Hey Kevin my name is XXXXX XXXXX am working on a cat 315CL SN PCJC01025. Unit only swings with the back up switch on the switch is good i have cat ET maybe you cat point me in the right direction please..
11/19/2013
Mechanic: catmastertech, Technician replied 8 years ago
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hello, I am Donnie. I believe catman sent you my way to help you with this issue. I am sorry I could not answer earlier, I was at work and just got in to check my question list.

When your swing only works with the back-up switch on, this means the circuit from the backup switch to the swing brake solenoid is good. The problem will be with the wiring from the ECM to the switch or a switch issue not sending the correct input to the ECM.

The most common fault I see is a failed pressure switch for the implement pressure signal. This will also cause the automatic engine control (AEC) to not function correctly.

If the engine speed does not work when you pull a lever, the pressure switch is were to start.

You may also need to test the wiring from the ecm to the backup switch. I have seen loose wires on the backup switch be the cause of this fault too.

I will be available for a few more hours if you need more help on this. Please let me know if I can help you further.

Thanks, Donnie

Yes the Eng speed does not work to .. Wher is the this press switch located

Back switch is good wires are all tite also this is inermiting like a loose conection can you please send me the wire numbers to check and conections and pin numbers .. would the press switch be intermitting ?

You should have two pressure switches on the top near the center of the main control valve. One switch is for the implement pressure and the other is for travel pressure. These switches are part #(NNN) NNN-NNNNand are normally open switches. A simple test is to install a jumper wire to see if the circuit will show "high pressure" on ET. The brake should release when implement pressure is high. Travel pressure will raise the engine speed but, it does not release the swing brake on some models. The ECM is mainly looking for any implement function to release the swing brake.

Implement pressure is K777 gray wire and its ground is 235 black wire.

Travel pressure is L971 green wire and ground is also 235 black wire.

The switch will show "low pressure" when controls are centered but, a timer will hold the solenoid on for six seconds to allow the machine to stop moving before switching the solenoid off and applying the swing brake.

Could the pressure switch be inermitley not working ? and both are the same pressure switches ones for travel and ones for implament right ?

Yes, both switches are the same and operate the same.

I have seen some operate intermittently. Usually when the machine is hot, the problem is worse.

Well thats the case when its hot. The K777 gray wire that goes the the ECM

Yes the K777 gray wire goes to the ecm. It appears in the connector with the (red 184) battery power wire at pin contact 1. Look for the K777 gray wire at contact 17.
catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician

Hey thanks for your help the switch did the trick...

Thanks for the update. I am glad I could help.

If you need anything else, please ask for me.

Thanks, Donnie