Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Bobcat 751, serial number5157 14768. Recently, the…

I have a Bobcat 751...
I have a Bobcat 751, serial number5157 14768. Recently, the lift/tilt function has stopped working. Traction works. Recent history is I had to replace hydrostatic oil radiator on this machine. On power up all 5 bics lights come on, then extinguish, except for power light. Can not get seat bar and valve lights to illuminate. I checked fuses and wiring but could not find anything. Can you help me step by step to trouble shoot this problem?
11/15/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name isXXXXX will try to help. If your harness tests good then you likely either have a problem with your safety interlock switches or a faulty lift/tilt actuator. It is unlikely they would both fail at the same time though. Try checking and bypassing your safety switches for test purposes and let me know the results.If you have an OHM meter. continuity checks are the most accurate. I log in periodically throughout the day in between jobs. Let me know.

Dan, What is the best way to bypass the seat bar switch? There are 3 wires involved. Is this a magnetic type switch? Are there other safety switches, other than this one. I couldn't get any continuity on any of the pins whether the seat bar was down or up. If you can guide me thru this I might be able to eliminate this as a problem or not.

Hi Sean, Yes it is a magnetic style and unfortunately that style sensor can not be bypassed even for test purposes. It works off of resistance (OHMs). It was designed to prevent people from bypassing the circuit. In most cases people just replace the switch if the harness tests out ok. If you have no continuity at all through the circuit on that switch/sensor then that is likely your problem.

Dan, I am still working on a satisfactory test for the safety bar switch. Bad weather here and the machine's outside. So far I haven't gotten any continuity on any of the 3 wires from the plug leading from the seat bar switch. I read that this switch has a reference voltage which is modified by the magnet in the switch. Is there a way to test this besides continuity. In addition, the seat safety switch was unconnected when I bought the Bobcat and all hydraulics worked. From what you have said, the valve bics and seat bar bics lights would not be illuminated if this switch is faulty. Is that right?

Hi Sean, I do not have the service book for this model unfortunately to reference the schematic for that circuit. What I did find for you id a downloadable service book for under 10 dollars. Copy and paste this link in your browser. http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/161525802-bobcat-751-skid-steer-loader-factory-service The light should go out when the seat bar switch is closed/engaged. It sounds like the controller is reading the switch is open/disengaged preventing our travel and functions to work.If the wiring test good then you likely have a faulty switch. I think the schematics will help and possibly there might be some more detailed tests covered in the service book. Let me know.
Dan, Technician