Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I have a Cat 426 7BC with 4 cylinder Perkins. Have had some…

I have a Cat 426...
I have a Cat 426 7BC with 4 cylinder Perkins. Have had some trouble with the motor starting and running for any length of time. Have new lift pump and have bled the system. Now it will start without ether but only runs for about five seconds. Will crank back up within thirty seconds but then just runs five seconds again. What do you think?
11/12/2013
Mechanic: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

With this being a Pekins and having a CAV or Lucas injection pump, look at the injection pump cover, for the return line.

Curtis B. :

The retirn line fitting in the injection pump should be a check valve, remove this fitting as see if it si plugged with debris. The check ball needs to be loose and rattle.

Curtis B. :

At the same rime, check the return line to the tank, any restriction in the return will cause pressure to build in the injection pump, shutting it off!

Curtis B. :

Let me know what you find. Thank you.

Customer:

I checked the valve and found a rubber gasket that was messed up. I took it out. The ball is held down toward the pump with a spring, but it would move easily pressing it. I didn't have a gasket to put back into the valve, but connected it back and loosened the return line just past the filter return. Pumped the lift pump and got fuel out the loose fitting, tightened it back and cranked the machine. It started and ran for probably 30 minutes then quit again. I could bleed the second injector and get it to run for a couple of minutes then it'd die again. Did that several times and gave up. Any other ideas?

Curtis B. :

Same problem! Or does this one have kill cable? Or electric fuel shutoff solenoid? Is it opening the fuel passage as soon as key is turned on?

Customer:

It does have an electric shutoff solenoid. Once I crank the machine with the second injector open for about 10 seconds, I tighten it back up and can get it started with ether. It'll run for a few minutes then dies.

Curtis B. :

I still think you have a restriction in the return. Did you blow out the return line, including the return lines from the injectors?

Customer:

No, I didn't blow them out. I will try that. I probably need to get a new check valve as well. Where would the best place be to blow the return line out?

Curtis B. :

From the check valve. Ad then check each connecting line at the injectors, and be sure the last hose id open to the tank.

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician