Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

Hi - I have a 2001 Bobcat 322 mini excavator. The lifting capacity…

Hi - I have a...
Hi - I have a 2001 Bobcat 322 mini excavator. The lifting capacity of the boom is greatly diminished. I could only lift a 5' box blade a couple of inches off the ground. Downward pressure (force) seems to be fine. I can easily lift the machine off the ground with the boom.
11/5/2013
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 8 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
I need your machine serial number to see if the manual I have fits in your serial number range.

Serial # XXXXX /p>

I'm sorry, but I did make a legitimate request as the 322 is a wide ranging series with many changes in components, the serial number is XXXXX to access the proper machine information to diagnose your problem. Perhaps I should opt out to allow another person to assist you. And don't bother giving me a rating, by me opting out and with no rating I receive no pay for our conversation. Cheers.

did you not receive the serial # XXXXX I sent?

Hmmmm, that is curious, on my end (your response) I see "XXXXXXXXX/p>.

I'm baffled???

Serial # XXXXX Two Three Five One Two Seven Six Six

Ok, got it. Wow, I have no idea what the heck happened, but you sure are on your toes by spelling it out to defeat the unknown gremlin, kudos to you.

I'm fixing to take nap time as I'm on Eastern time, I'd like to review the hydraulic schematic for your machine and note the components it uses. I'm curious about a port relief valve, but I'd like to review a diagram before I make an assumption.

I'll be back online tomorrow eve after work. In the meantime, have a good evening.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX look forward to hearing from you tomorrow.

Oh, BTW, I respond with the "need info" response because if I use the "answer" response that kicks in the pay schedule. I choose not to kick in the pay schedule by your rating because I haven't offered a solution to your problem just yet. Sometimes working on machines is more complex than a simple answer. In most cases it requires information and noodling it out.

Given that you stated that the boom doesn't have good lifting power (boom up), yet will easily lift the machine off the ground when you boom down, it's not likely that your problem is with the boom hoist cylinder piston seal, otherwise it wouldn't have power in boom down as well.

Aside from that, according to the s/n, your machine has a fairly simple hydraulic circuit consisting of the control valve, individual port relief valves for the up and down circuits, and the cylinder itself. You could always have a problem with the control spool or the body of the valve section, such as a crack in valve section, but these things are very rare, I have only run across these failures just a few times in years of working on hydraulic components.

Here's an illustration of your boom circuit, item 13 is the port relief valve for the boom down circuit, item 14 is the relief for the boom up circuit.

The main control valve is located under the floor plate in the cab. In the picture of the main control valve, item 1 is the relief valve for the boom down, item 2 is the relief for boom up, that valve most likely has a hose over top of it as shown in pic.

I would position the arm vertical and place the digging bucket on the ground at rest. As best you can place the bucket on the ground but don't lift the machine. Carefully loosen the two hoses on top of the boom valve section to relieve pressure. And be careful, it can squirt out with some force. You may even have to disconnect the two hoses to access the boom up relief valve. Remove the boom up relief valve and inspect the o-rings and back up rings. If they look ok, remove the boom down relief valve and swap them. Don't grab the nut on the end of the valves as that's the nut to lock down pressure adjustment, find appropriate wrench to grab valve closer to the control valve body.

Reconnect the hoses and try the machine to see if boom up has better power now. But keep in mind, it still won't have full lifting power as the relief you are now using is adjusted slightly lower. You're just looking for a noticeable difference. If it turns out to be better, yet the o-rings are in good shape, you have a failed relief valve that needs replacement. Be sure to put the boom down relief back in it's proper place.

All of that makes sense. I will follow your instructions this weekend and hopefully that will fix (identify) the problem.

Got my fingers crossed on my end. I sure as heck don't want it to be a cracked valve body or something, stuff like that will make you crazy trying to find it. Cheers
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager