Construction and Road Equipment

Construction and road equipment repair questions? Ask a mechanic ASAP

I own a 2003 Bobcat 180. I am having a lock out problem. The…

Customer Question
I own a 2003 Bobcat...

I own a 2003 Bobcat 180. I am having a lock out problem. The bobcat starts fine, then when lower the seat bar I here the magnetic switch click. Then when I engage the (green) button to start operation. All functions work except the raise bucket I get a audio alarm, the seat belt alarm lights up as well as the ACS light kick on. That pretty we'll locks up all functions. The motor continues to run and the aux continues to work. I would like to by pass this lock out system and go to work. Can you help? Mike [email protected] XXXXXXX

Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Construction and Road Equipment
10/27/2013
Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 8 years ago
Dan, Technician
Hi my name is Dan. I will try to help. All your safety switches are wired in series so there has to be a completed circuit for the functions to work. If the harness has an open circuit or one of the switches it will not tell the controller to allow the functions to operate. The only possible way I can suggest doing this although it is not recommended is you would have to identify the signal send wire from the controller and the return and bypass it right at the controller to eleiminate the whole circuit. You will need to obtain a schematic from your dealer to identify the wires and pins at the controller. The other concern is if the style sensors used send back a specific voltage signal that will have to me matched for this to work or if it is just normally open and closed switches with 12 volts which would make it easier just to run a jumper without adding a resister to match the voltage needed. Other than that I see you mentioned you wiggled the harness and got it to work in the past. Look at all your wiring and connectors for corroded, loose or broken contacts or test with an OHM meter fo an open on your harness or defective safety switch. Reply back if you need further help with this.
If you are the mechanic you say you are , I would have expected you to tell me the location of the control box. Is it in the hand controller, or the box in the top of the cab where the engage button is located or maybe in the engine compartment. You have given me generalities rather than specifics. Then I must obtain schematic you don't have one. I know about checking wire circuits! You have just sent me a canned answer, the kind you could send out many times per day. At this point I am not happy with your answer.
I am an independent field tech and do not have direct access to the bobcat network. I would have to contact the dealer as well for schematics for your serial number as well. I help on here part time in between jobs. No worries. My time helping you is voluntary unless you accept my answers. Please do not rate as I will have to opt out but I was here to try to help. I do have some connections but I have been right out straight with field work. Lets see if another expert can take this over and get you the parts breakdown and detailed information you need. Hang tight as this will post back on the board for other experts to review.
The info I received was not helpful to aid me in my final result. I was steered to you web site with the expectations that I would be supplied with good info, not so..
Mechanic: Fieldtech59, Shop manager replied 8 years ago
Fieldtech59
Fieldtech59, Shop manager
I can't answer your question specifically as I have little experience with the Advanced Control System Bobcat machines and how that would relate to your problem, but I would at least to glean some more info in hopes it helps you. You stated that when you push the green enable button you get an audible alarm, would that be something like three beeps? If so, that's an indication of a code in the ECM. At that point, when you hear those beeps, don't do anything, don't shut off engine, instead push and hold the headlight switch, this will activate the code display in the hour meter window. This might give us some info to help you with proceeding further.